Is there a way to install a Theremin on a guitar?

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

alexm

Is there a way to install a Theremin on a guitar?

Post by alexm »

I got the idea from a few videos of The Raconteurs. Jack White has theremins built into two of his guitars and I thought that the idea sounded cool. I don't know if there's a way to install a mini theremin into a guitar unprofessionally though. A push/pull pot or a mini 3PDT switch could engage it or something like that. If anybody knows of a way to do it or has any advice on something like this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
peps1

Post by peps1 »

If you let us know what guitar you wanted to do this to, it would make it easier to give advice......but if its not a hollow body I think your looking a routing a new cavity.

You may be able to fit the board from a Gakken Theremin Kit into the cavity of a Les Paul, and drill a hole from the extendable areal near the jack directly into the cavity?
Last edited by peps1 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
alexm

Post by alexm »

Yeah sorry I kind forgot to mention that, it's just a cheap les paul copy that I would have no problem routing new cavities in.
modeerf

Post by modeerf »

cool idea, Jack White has some great ideas man. I loved the green bullet in the gretsch.
Do Drugs, Worship Satan.
peps1

Post by peps1 »

Cool if you dont mind hacking up the guitar, just boar out a hole and fit a Gakken Theremin, but use a retractable areal like a cars, so you can have it out only when needed.......some good info on hacking one here http://www.instructables.com/id/Gakken- ... -Kit-Hack/

I am a little jealous of that Gretsch!
peps1

Post by peps1 »

Cool if you dont mind hacking up the guitar, just boar out a hole and fit a Gakken Theremin, but use a retractable areal like a cars, so you can have it out only when needed.......some good info on hacking one here http://www.instructables.com/id/Gakken- ... -Kit-Hack/

I am a little jealous of that Gretsch!
alexm

Post by alexm »

His gretsch guitars are pretty badass. I heard he installed an MXR micro amp on the middle pickup of one of them so when he switches to it, it sounds immediately overdriven. And that copper topped "Triple Jet" is awesome.
alexm

Post by alexm »

Is there a way to make the antenna a Push/Pull pot? Like when you have it in the pulled position the theremin would be on and the pot would be the antenna or is that not possible?That way I wouldn't have a gigantic antenna on the side of the guitar.
peps1

Post by peps1 »

you could use a plate of metal as a areal.......maybe a metal scratch plate would do the job......or just using copper tape on the underside of a normal scratch plate?
alexm

Post by alexm »

Alright, cool thanks man. Are there any sound clips of your Supa Fuzz circuit boards?