Differences between Meathead pedals?

For the explorer in the realms of distortion generation.

Moderator: The Captain

smogfalls

Re: Differences between Meathead pedals?

Post by smogfalls »

molokaio wrote:Yo guys... just noticed my meathead B&G is labled /bass...
Are all B&G's like that? cos mine plays really well with a gtr?

Also... is the dark very close to the slo-mod meatheads?
yeah my Black n' Gold is also labelled "Bass" ... I think it just refers to the fact that they are tuned extra bass heavy. Was jamming with mine for hours today and it's back to being my number 1 pedal. :headbanger:
Guitar Lessons - Online via Skype or in Nottingham, England

http://alexfarran.webs.com

Shape Lieutenant - Progressive Rock/Metal/Jazz...

http://soundcloud.com/shape-lt/shape-lt ... -june-2011
molokaio

Post by molokaio »

yo D. and Xan... thanks guys!

I like the b&G a lot as well... it's great even with a strato!
You're really greatly covered on the fuzz side. All you pedals are purely top notch!
Live Slow... Die old...
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

Jazzandmetal? wrote:... I compared it to my friends early purple meathead that is in a bit of a smaller box and a very early serial number and that one had more bass and was actually more quite than the B&G and B&W. I would love to get that older one, but my friend refuses to part with it.
Interesting, I just got an older (2006) Meathead, purple, 20-something serial # and it is way dark sounding. Thought I was kinda imagining it, but it really sounds different from my old Red Baron MH. Pretty intense, dark, bass. Maybe a bit too much for me actually...Is that a consequence of this big ass 47uF cap?
Last edited by devnulljp on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
jerms

Post by jerms »

that 47uf is in the power supply Dev.... the blurry red cap...... that's the output cap.... the input is that red 100n.... i think the blurry cap is the culprit.... what's the value on it?
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

jerms wrote:that 47uf is in the power supply Dev.... the blurry red cap...... that's the output cap.... the input is that red 100n.... i think the blurry cap is the culprit.... what's the value on it?
The other blurry red cap is 22n (the little blue one is 10uF).
Massive sounding fuzz.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
jerms

Post by jerms »

wow those values don't seem that big... .1 on the input and .02 on the out... wonder why it's so fat? :hmm:
jerms

Post by jerms »

:lol: :lol:
molokaio

Post by molokaio »

I had a very cool shootout with electric swan. Too bad we didnt film it, damned tonebenders blew our brains out! :hihi:
Meatheads involved were:
Dark, B&G, Standard and Deluxe.

The dark obviously is darker overall :bong2: but the biggest difference with the b&G is the hugeness and bass bump you can feel palmuting those low strings! Some may not like it, infact I prefer the b&G as it's more definite and suits more what I play.
the b&G and the standard were pretty much similar on the upper end, while the b&g was a little fatter on low strings. The texture grain is the same tho. I expected a bigger difference.
The dlx instead is a whole different animal, it can even be set to get a nice overdrive sound outta it. Tons of shades and if you ask me on full filter it can be bigger than the standard.

To me the best of the best are the b&G for the perfect heaviness and the Dlx for the genious design.

Rock on!
:crackjam:
Live Slow... Die old...
smogfalls

Post by smogfalls »

black n' gold = holy grail fuzz. Fooking fantastic. Will never sell mine.

Xan :)
Guitar Lessons - Online via Skype or in Nottingham, England

http://alexfarran.webs.com

Shape Lieutenant - Progressive Rock/Metal/Jazz...

http://soundcloud.com/shape-lt/shape-lt ... -june-2011
professor plum

Re:

Post by professor plum »

Sickle wrote:My Black and Gold is totally different from the other black and golds in that its the prototype for the Meathead Dark. What's cool about it though, is it doesn't sound or play like a genuine Dark at all. Its got a way deeper tone than a Standard, but still has blistering highs with a ton of sizzle. Mids are a tad less as well, giving it an old timey scooped sound like the heavy side of a Superfuzz without the ghost octave. It also has a sputtery gating that I really love which also lends a vintage vibe to it kinda like the decay on an MK I. Of all my Si pedals, that Meathead sounds more like a Ge than anything I've ever used. At work, where I actually play guitar more than I do at home for some reason ( :whistle: ) that is my de facto pedal and is plugged in more than any other pedal I own, replacing the hammerite Standard which was my first made-4-me Meathead. I love my Meathead Dark, it blows me away every time I pull it out, but the box is so special to me I'm loath to use it because its the first collab I ever did with David Main. As the Fuzz Pope, its one of my sacred religious fetish objects.

:popesickle:

I need a second one I can smash up with mortal wantonness and impunity, in other words.

:slam:
if mr. main ever decides to give rise to more such beasts, so count me in... :party:
analog love <3/