Favourite Muffs

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

modeerf

Favourite Muffs

Post by modeerf »

What's your favorite muff? Name any current, vintage, or boutique and why?

I'm on a serious muff kick and just wondering what the perceptions are.
There are always trade offs when it comes to new vs. old and the conceptions that current offerings lack in the X factor but make up for it in features. Not to mention the many different muff circuits there are out there. How all that relates to your style and your other gear is also a large factor in how a muff plays and sounds.

Personally I like the op amp v4 because of the heaviness while played wide open but I am a huge fan of the low gain dialed back muff sound which this pedal is horrible at. Ideally I'd like a muff that could do both.
I've had a skreddy cognitive dissonance mkII that was incredible in the heavy territory and a mayo that was great at the low drive thing. I've played and owned a lot of muffs and they each had something they were great at but I haven't found one that just did it all for me. I really liked the basic audio tri/ram and the blackout musket and blunderbuss pedals, I'm just wondering how some other builds stack up.

What classic circuit do you think does the best low gain thing? And which would you argue sounds best fully open?

I'm just typing out loud, share your thoughts... There are a lot of muff builds I haven't had a chance to try yet.

As we know the muff pond runs deep, what's your go to and why?
Do Drugs, Worship Satan.
superslidetail

Re: Favourite Muffs

Post by superslidetail »

The Castledine V2 has been my favorite thus far. Sounds good on lower gain settings too. Honorable mention goes to the MJM Foxey Fuzz as well.
Orange Haze...it ain't Purple no more...
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

2nd on the Castledine V2, a huge favorite for full on mayhem. It can get out of control in such a nice way.
I also like the Tym Triangle (good low gain Muff)
Ram Head V6 (Like J Mascics uses) I find can go low gain or full on.
The Mighty Dope Priest (I have 3 and still and can't decide between them, they all kill)

As you can see I am a huge Big Muff fan too. :oops:

I use single coils, strat and P90's through a 50 watt 2x12 usually or a 30 watt head and 1x12 cab.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

The old Maxon D&S pedals do really nice low-gain Muff stuff and for some reason or other they're still relatively cheap and easy to come by. They're actually great Muffs all round.
For higher gain stuff I just love the character of the Faustone Fuzz Unit (Champion/B&M Fuzz/Jumbo Tonebender - essentially a Muff).
freddy_von

Post by freddy_von »

My two favorites are probably the Tym 'Reverse' Mudd and the Castledine V2.
Haven't tried many Muffs that I didn't like though.
Turkish

Post by Turkish »

I don't really do low gain much but I've owned at one time a Wren and Cuff Box of War, Tri Pie, and a SUF Ram's Head. They were all great boxes. The SUF is very balanced and clear.

The ones I've retained are a SUF Foxey Lady variant and the mighty Dope Priest. The Foxey Lady (not exactly sure which Guild this was based on) is very bottom heavy and sounds great on bass. The Dope Priest is my favorite overall...so far.

Would like to spend some time with that V2.
"The Meathead is supposed to break things" -The Captain
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

^ Knew you'd pop up here, freddy. They don't call you the 'Muff Crusader' for nothing. (They don't call you the 'Muff Crusader' at all, but still…)
I'd love to try a Tym Muff one day but he never seems to have pedals in stock and when he does they sell out in minutes.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Dope Priest No7 is my preferred muff at the moment, heavy as fuck :crackjam: Sonic VI makes a great muff too (perf board)
’brutish in character but not thug like’
phidias

Post by phidias »

Wren & Cuff The Caprid and EFE #7 work great for me. :headbanger:
I Love Rock'n'Roll - Compression Kills The Music - Never Put Off Until Tomorrow What You Can Buy Today!
freddy_von

Post by freddy_von »

innerflight wrote:Dope Priest No7 is my preferred muff at the moment, heavy as fuck :crackjam: Sonic VI makes a great muff too (perf board)
Those perf board Triangle Muffs looked great. Wish I'd have picked one up when I had the chance.