Fuzz Sound No. 005 Grahams

High gain germanium bliss manifest in three dimensional reality.

Moderator: The Captain

Graham

Fuzz Sound No. 005 Grahams

Post by Graham »

Heres my new "Precious" nice transistor selection - even nicer tone - this is the one I was waiting on - Got the gating and chunky sustain of the 2 knob mk3 Solas but the smoothness and pick attack of the mkIV -

Yet another nice build - no make tat a superb build as usual - Dave takes it to an artform!!

Mine does the whole thing - all the way from gatey mk1 type deals through to the singing sustain of the Mkiv's

Anyway - here are the guts pics - an unusual choice Id imagine - think Dave chose tham knowing my tonal tastes

Position 1 Black glass OC44 Position 2 - Blue OC45 position 3 metal can OC84 All Mullards - I really like the way that he has used as many old school components in this build as possible (like the Fuzzarounds) all those great NOS Catalytics - way cool AND i sure you could detect a better overall sound from this older stuff than the modern equivalents - Maybe its my imaginings but that black OC44 in pole position is the same as im the Rangemasters and when cranking her right up its rather like having a booster feedong into the pedal!! With everything around halfway or 12.00 o'clock you feel like youre into a bloody nice but maybe not "outstanding " pedal - push it up some more and maybe back off the tone at the guitar and all kinds of weirdness begins - makes a chap sit up and pay attention - stops me from taking her for granted if you know what I mean -

On P90's I tried running the pedal flat out through a Top Mount Park JTM45 ca '65 set all around halfway into a mixed 2x12 (one Alnico G12 Celestion from '64 another real early ceramic Greenback G12H from late '66 or so 1777 cone) My favourite sub 30 watt cab these days!! Running the guitar with most tone off and around 50% volume kept it as if the pedal was all midwayed - Cranking the guitar Vol and te guitar just came alive in my arms - llikesome kind of wild thing - a monster - All the sustain and feedback anyone could want btut more besides - that 3D gated thing you get from those FuzzRongs too - A very versatile pedal.

Funnily running everything right down to the lower settings gives mre of that old school sola mk4 fuzziness - but controlled - more of a nice "thickener" - Like I say a bloody useful pedal in its way covering just as wide a range tonally as the Buzzarounds (or should that be Fuzzarounds!!!

Just to make sure it wasnt a one trick pony I re-tried all the settigs through my lovely little Vox AC4 with it single el84 and tiny Elac speaker (setup by John Chambers though so magical sounding!!) - just the same - maybe even more pronounced on some of the subtler loer pedal settings - a damn nice pedal though!
WILL SOMEONE TELL ME WHEE THE VERSE IS FROM - Who is this guy?? Some weirdly wandering wizard??

Alongside my new MHDx this shot shows what a big old boy the Fuzz Sound really is!! (incidentally arent those latest Meatheads wonderfully pretty!!
Sage

Re: Fuzz Sound No. 005 Grahams

Post by Sage »

Yep... "The Wizard" - Black Sabbath... very appropriate considering it's owner! :tu:
Graham wrote:WILL SOMEONE TELL ME WHEE THE VERSE IS FROM - Who is this guy?? Some weirdly wandering wizard??

jerms

Post by jerms »

the quote is from Black Sabbath's THE WIZARD. i think all the inside quotes on these fuzzsounds are Black Sabbath lyrics! :headbanger:
Graham

Post by Graham »

jerms wrote:the quote is from Black Sabbath's THE WIZARD. i think all the inside quotes on these fuzzsounds are Black Sabbath lyrics! :headbanger:
Oh well that's OK my kids all call me :errr: Ozzie :errr: anyway - - Well Ive called them all Charlie since they were lumps in Frans belly - guess my doctor daughter one gets a little emarassed in public whan I call out for Charlie but it saves remembering.
I always loved an interview I once saw with George Foreman the pugilist - the guy had like nine or so sons - called every sigle one of them George or something sumilar - whatever - all the same chrisitian name (My kids do actually have their own proper names too just I get them badly mixed up!! :hmm: A LOT :errr: ) Anyway the interviewer commented on it being rather unusual and why had he done it - given them all precisely the same name - his reply was that in the kind of line he was in - memorry was sort of at occupational hazard and he had been trying to "plan ahead"!! Graham :mrgreen:
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Nice box, Graham. Thanks for the review and letting us know how it sounds through a Park. I can hardly wait to try one out through my own Park 2x12!

I am finding that I am falling in love with P90's, all over again. :party:
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty

Post by thorpy6 »

nice photos, really clear and detailed. Those mullard OC45 blue transistors look amazing, are they the original versions as i have several black glass versions and was wondering what the difference was. i take it the blue ones are the same era as the yellow jacketed OC44's?
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

It is amazing there is still a supply of these things kicking around. The designs alone are cool to look at. :badteeth:
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Graham

Post by Graham »

Sickle wrote:
jerms wrote:the quote is from Black Sabbath's THE WIZARD. i think all the inside quotes on these fuzzsounds are Black Sabbath lyrics! :headbanger:
They are. Another box out there has the opening lines from Supernaut! I requested a Sabbath quote in my box and I guess David's running with the idea, can't say there's not enough room for em, and adds a new dynamic to the Fuzz Sound's Cool Factor!

:demon:

Nice one, Graham! I haven't seen a Mullard OC44 in a hot minute!

I think that OC84 may have come from a stash I sent the Captain's way some months back. There's a tiny piece of me in your box, if so..

:cthulhu:
Heres a faoured OC44 of mine!! - they werent all yellow covered in Rangies in fact Carl's (with another black glass OC44 went unsold on ebay earlier tonight at£990 - a sign of the times)

G :mrgreen:

incidentally - here's another in the new JMI treble booster - mine - ser no 004 arrived the other day 0 very nice sounding too!! Even if a littlw weird seeing effetively a Rangie in a mk 2 fuzz body - I expect their proposed Rangie "Clone" will have same tagboard gutsand kook nore the part.
Graham

Post by Graham »

I like to think of this one as the "family shot" nothing like that warm fuzzy feeling you get when surrounded by all your older kinfolks

G :badlove:
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Just when I thought I'd drooled enough over your amps, I find a new way to drool over something else :drool2:
-Garfunk M. Rafferty