Nick's holy grail vintage Fuzz Face [pr0n dump]

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Nick's holy grail vintage Fuzz Face [pr0n dump]

Post by Nick »

I've been salivating over photos of this exact pedal for almost 9(!!) years, when it was first revealed as part of a larger collection of vintage effects, over on Bart's forum. The owner was selling much (if not all) of this stuff, and as I recall, a few bits ended up with various forumites here. For whatever reason, they held onto this Fuzz Face for a while longer, and eventually dumped it on eBay. Tl;dr is that it went into the collection of a friend-of-a-friend, and when the time came for that guy to start selling vintage pedals, if it wasn't for the kind heads-up from the ever-awesome Jreeves47, then I wouldn't have had first dibs.

There's nothing particularly remarkable about the circuitry or the t0anz of this one. What's notable, however, is that this is the rarest colour scheme of all of the 'first generation' Fuzz Faces (i.e. the pre-Arbiter, 'first enclosure' type). Even rarer than the illustrious 'red n' black' model, is this 'red with white thick-logo lettering' model (not to be confused with the 'red with white thin-logo in second enclosure type' pedals) :smashed: Since the very first one that resident Fuzz Face spotter Electric Warrior and I saw surface, back in 2012, I'm aware (thus far) of a total of only four surviving. (Of course, there might be even rarer cosmetic variations out there that have yet to be discovered...)

Now, an old fuzz pedal has to be particularly horrible for me to consider cleaning it, but unfortunately this one has met that threshold. It absolutely stinks of pot, and there are even infinitesimal pot particles sitting on the PCB, and tangled up in the cat(?!) hair around the spaghetti :paranoid:
spofftastic

Re: Nick's holy grail vintage Fuzz Face [pr0n dump]

Post by spofftastic »

I’d trade all my sola builds for one of these…. Absolutely beautiful. Stunning is more like it!
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Nice score Nick!! Glad you finally got a hold of it!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Ooof suits you sir !
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Congratulations, looks pretty awesome :badlove:

So let me get this right, someone has used it for smuggling weed and potentially a cat into the country? :hmm:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

innerflight wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:04 amSo let me get this right, someone has used it for smuggling weed and potentially a cat into the country? :hmm:
I'm genuinely amazed that it wasn't seized (or at least intercepted) at customs inspection — it really is that pungent :bong2:
superslidetail

Post by superslidetail »

Awesome!
Orange Haze...it ain't Purple no more...
Lee

Post by Lee »

Congrats Nick I always love to see your vintage pedal scores. Is it a possibility we could hear this example if you have time?

How does it sound or compare to your other Vintage Fuzz Faces? I was told the ones from the 60’s sound different compared to others. Is that true?
rafmax

Post by rafmax »

And in the end... Nick grabs it :tu:
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

Congratulations Nick. :freakout:

What a beauty! :shocked:
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.