Nick's holy grail vintage Fuzz Face [pr0n dump]

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

stella_blues

Re: Nick's holy grail vintage Fuzz Face [pr0n dump]

Post by stella_blues »

Nice stash tin :tu:

I’m surprised you didn’t have to pay extra for the authentic Jimi at Woodstock smell experience :smashed:
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

Lee wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:13 pm Congrats Nick I always love to see your vintage pedal scores. Is it a possibility we could hear this example if you have time?

How does it sound or compare to your other Vintage Fuzz Faces? I was told the ones from the 60’s sound different compared to others. Is that true?
General consensus is that the variation that people experience when comparing different Fuzz Faces is largely to do with the crappy carbon comp resistors drifting the bias away. This one really doesn't sound great, and I'm hoping that a 'tune-up' is all that's necessary to get it working optimally again. It's on the ever-growing list of broken pedals that I need to beg Dave, Stu or Antti to restore :whistle:
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Seeing as though it doesn't sound great, have you considered following the OG owner's lead and using it as a bong? :bong2: :badteeth:
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

Nick wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:08 pm
General consensus is that the variation that people experience when comparing different Fuzz Faces is largely to do with the crappy carbon comp resistors drifting the bias away.
[/quote]

Great score!

The tolerance and wear of the fuzz pot may be an even more important than drifting resistors. IME it can change the tone more radically than transistor selection :popcorn:

Consindering the current heatwave, maybe you're lucky and it will sound nicer when it's cold.
Everything is transitional.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Electric Warrior wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:54 pm Consindering the current heatwave, maybe you're lucky and it will sound nicer when it's cold.
The 33k has drifted down to just 9.6k or so. It might end up being sent to Antti's lab in Finland, reckon that's cold enough? :badteeth:
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

Nick wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:08 pm
Electric Warrior wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:54 pm Consindering the current heatwave, maybe you're lucky and it will sound nicer when it's cold.
The 33k has drifted down to just 9.6k or so. It might end up being sent to Antti's lab in Finland, reckon that's cold enough? :badteeth:
Oh yeah, that would be an issue :badteeth:
Everything is transitional.
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Stunning! Truly outstanding acquisition there, sir.
Nick wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:08 pm This one really doesn't sound great...
I know a guy :badteeth:
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Electric Warrior wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:54 pm The tolerance and wear of the fuzz pot may be an even more important than drifting resistors. IME it can change the tone more radically than transistor selection :popcorn:
Well said, sir! An often overlooked part of the bias network.
Nick

Post by Nick »

The Captain wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:25 pm
Nick wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:08 pm This one really doesn't sound great...
I know a guy :badteeth:
Do you know if he's done fixing the last pile of broken pedals that I sent him? :teeth2:
BKDevices

Post by BKDevices »

Congrats on the score!
What's notable, however, is that this is the rarest colour scheme of all of the 'first generation' Fuzz Faces (i.e. the pre-Arbiter, 'first enclosure' type). Even rarer than the illustrious 'red n' black' model, is this 'red with white thick-logo lettering' model (not to be confused with the 'red with white thin-logo in second enclosure type' pedals)
Haha, nice. I don't know how you guys keep track of all these variants.