Vintage Bulgin knobs value?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

fernieite

Vintage Bulgin knobs value?

Post by fernieite »

Hi all,

I've got a set of 4 vintage Bulgin chicken-head knobs that I was thinking of putting up for sale locally, and was wondering how much they're going for nowadays.
They were found on Vox amps and Tone Benders, etc in the 60s.

I see a pair on reverb for 50 bucks US, a piece. Is that appropriate?
https://reverb.com/item/45572088-2x-sol ... lgin-black
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Re: Vintage Bulgin knobs value?

Post by Nick »

fernieite wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:32 pm I see a pair on reverb for 50 bucks US, a piece. Is that appropriate?
https://reverb.com/item/45572088-2x-sol ... lgin-black
That's worthy of being posted in the crackpipe thread. Particularly given that they're not even the correct sort for a 60s Tone Bender :ohno:
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

Thanks Nick. How are these different from the TB knobs?
Weren't they Bulgins?

If so, I didn't realize there were differences in the Bulgin chicken-heads knobs.
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I think so, but I've never seen a chicken head knob on a Tone Bender that has that hollowed out 'tail' end underneath. The knobs on pedals I've seen have always been either solid plastic underneath, or at least have the weird circle cut-out. I guess Bulgin were making these things for a loooong time, and that's why there are so many variations.
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

Oh, good observation!

3 of mine are identical to the reverb ad, and the 4th has the weird circle cut-out. It's stamped "British Made", as well.
Any idea of a reasonable asking price for my lot?
Thanks!
Nick

Post by Nick »

If they all have grub screws, then you might be able to find someone willing to pay £20 for a pair, if they're interested in improving the cosmetics of their reissue Tone Bender or Vox amp. The old Bulgins look a lot cooler than modern knobs, but they're also not at all difficult to find (e.g. some of the knobs on this listing would look nice on a Tone Bender, and can be had for little more than a fiver each).
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

Shit, I have a big bag of those knobs and others. Maybe I should cash out and retire.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

devnulljp wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:51 pm Shit, I have a big bag of those knobs and others. Maybe I should cash out and retire.
:lol:

OK, thanks Nick. I guess the reverb guy is out to lunch.
If that's the case, I might as well put them on my Tone Benders! :badteeth: