sourcing good NOS parts

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

Coolhand78

sourcing good NOS parts

Post by Coolhand78 »

anyone know where i can source quality NOS parts especially NTK 275's, and other germanium arbiter fuzz face parts?
"Yorkshire isn't a place. Yorkshire is a state of mind." ~ Howard Moon
MaryKelly

Re: sourcing good NOS parts

Post by MaryKelly »

Coolhand78 wrote:anyone know where i can source quality NOS parts especially NTK 275's, and other germanium arbiter fuzz face parts?
The thing about NOS stuff is that there aren't stores where you can just buy it most of the time. You may be able to get one value of this part here, and another there, but there isn't a Mouser of Germanium transistors and mustard caps, etc... Your best bet is eBay but overall you are better off sourcing a good set of matched and tested germaniums from www.smallbearelec.com than trying to find good quality NKT275s. Those are the holy grail for fuzz faces and have been all but completely used up. The stuff you can get from small bear is excellent and will sound every bit as good. You dont have to have the exact holy grail parts to make an ideal-sounding fuzz face.
Coolhand78

Post by Coolhand78 »

MaryKelly wrote:
Coolhand78 wrote:anyone know where i can source quality NOS parts especially NTK 275's, and other germanium arbiter fuzz face parts?
The thing about NOS stuff is that there aren't stores where you can just buy it most of the time. You may be able to get one value of this part here, and another there, but there isn't a Mouser of Germanium transistors and mustard caps, etc... Your best bet is eBay but overall you are better off sourcing a good set of matched and tested germaniums from http://www.smallbearelec.com than trying to find good quality NKT275s. Those are the holy grail for fuzz faces and have been all but completely used up. The stuff you can get from small bear is excellent and will sound every bit as good. You dont have to have the exact holy grail parts to make an ideal-sounding fuzz face.
cool, i'm fishing around with ideas at the moment, i'm pretty new to this stuff so it's a steep learning curve... until i can actually have different fuzzes to try with different transistors i'm really relying on peoples advice, and this place is as good as any... so cheers!! :oldsmile:
"Yorkshire isn't a place. Yorkshire is a state of mind." ~ Howard Moon
MaryKelly

Post by MaryKelly »

Coolhand78 wrote:
MaryKelly wrote:
The thing about NOS stuff is that there aren't stores where you can just buy it most of the time. You may be able to get one value of this part here, and another there, but there isn't a Mouser of Germanium transistors and mustard caps, etc... Your best bet is eBay but overall you are better off sourcing a good set of matched and tested germaniums from http://www.smallbearelec.com than trying to find good quality NKT275s. Those are the holy grail for fuzz faces and have been all but completely used up. The stuff you can get from small bear is excellent and will sound every bit as good. You dont have to have the exact holy grail parts to make an ideal-sounding fuzz face.
cool, i'm fishing around with ideas at the moment, i'm pretty new to this stuff so it's a steep learning curve... until i can actually have different fuzzes to try with different transistors i'm really relying on peoples advice, and this place is as good as any... so cheers!! :oldsmile:
www.diystompboxes.com is probably a better place for real diy advice. Its a super active forum and the guys that wrote the book on cloning the fuzz face, univibe, etc... are all over the place there.