Any one compared the 1966 (Super Bee mode) to the Sola I.V?

Collaborations with originators.

Moderator: The Captain

imguitardan

Any one compared the 1966 (Super Bee mode) to the Sola I.V?

Post by imguitardan »

I have and love my 1966. I'm up for a MK I.V.

How similar are these tones (esp when compared to the Super Bee mode of the 1966)? I'm also most interested in how well it (the Sola I.V) can clean up (w P-90s or single coils esp.).

THANKS! :zombiehuh:
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
1bottlerocket

Re: Any one compared the 1966 (Super Bee mode) to the Sola I

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I have both, a '66 with an OC82D and the 1.5. I find the 1.5 has a lower mid-range emphasis and a warmer vintage vibe going on than the SB mode on the '66. I love them both but am partial to the 1.5, it reminds me more of a Fuzz Face tone than anything. Hope hat helps!
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
imguitardan

Post by imguitardan »

1bottlerocket wrote:I have both, a '66 with an OC82D and the 1.5. I find the 1.5 has a lower mid-range emphasis and a warmer vintage vibe going on than the SB mode on the '66. I love them both but am partial to the 1.5, it reminds me more of a Fuzz Face tone than anything. Hope hat helps!
Thanks. I should note that my '66 has SFT's.
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

I am Incinerator

Post by I am Incinerator »

Anyone compared the recent SB-66's to the Sola MKI.V's? The vintage vibe of the MKI.V's seems appealing (and I'm on that list).

Comparing the Sola MKII to the SB-66, they seemed pretty spot on to each other when they are both at the setting that I like my Sola MK II at. I need to do a little more back and forth with these two. Compared to my Skin Pimp MKII, the Sola had more of a smooth texture and vintage crusty sound/vibe about it while the Skin Pimp had the aggressive mids with more of a modern vibe about it. So I know there has gotta be a noticeable difference between my SB-66, Sola MKII, and Sola MKI.V (when my name comes up). :zombiehuh:
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

I need to do a side by side but 1bottlerocket's right -- the 1.5 has more mids and is warmer. My 66 has SFTs too, and it's got a lot of that top end sizzle. Super Bee adds some meat, but it's a different sound to the 1.5.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
imguitardan

Post by imguitardan »

I wish some one would do a side by side clip... :coffee:

redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

You can check out some clips me, Jerms, and psychodaises have made...we did a 1966 shootout and a MK 1.5 shootout and they were both with the same amp and mic setup so it should give you a general idea of the difference between the two: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9597
And: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9131
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
imguitardan

Re:

Post by imguitardan »

redeyeflight wrote:You can check out some clips me, Jerms, and psychodaises have made...we did a 1966 shootout and a MK 1.5 shootout and they were both with the same amp and mic setup so it should give you a general idea of the difference between the two: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9597
And: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9131
Thanks for that. The differences between the '66 and MK I.V are more obvious. It's the Super Bee from the '66 vs. the I.V that most interests me (especially in regard to how they each clean up). :bangs head:

imguitardan

Post by imguitardan »

:stomper: