What is on your workbench Tinkerers?

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

peps1

Re: What is on your workbench Tinkerers?

Post by peps1 »

HorseyBoy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:27 am ^ So cool! Now use that 3D printer to print another 3D printer!
:hihi: That's how this whole home 3D printing thing started. The idea of self-replicating robots!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RepRap_project
resynthesis

Post by resynthesis »

...and a 3D scanner :)
peps1

Post by peps1 »

resynthesis wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:20 pm ...and a 3D scanner :)
That is very much on my list. would be so incredibly helpful to have around the workshop!
The-kangass

Post by The-kangass »

peps1 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:13 am
Lee wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:42 pm Brook if you could possibly figure out how to print the old Tapes that went into the old Univox Tape Echos you would save a lot of us people wishing these tape cartridges were easily accessible. I have two Univox tape echoes collecting dust because I need fresh tape and cartridges. This could be a great way for you to make money. I would buy a bunch.
I do like money, I do like 3D printing, and I do like echoes....

Can't see it being that hard to print the enclosure part, but would have to find a rubber wheel that would fit and assume some low friction nylon standoffs for the tape to run on.....I mean, I think it's possible, but would need a tape to dismantle (possibly to destruction, depending on how they were made) and take measurements from, and someone to test iterations of the design.

Edit:

The more I look at it the more I think a "3D printed dummy cartage" that takes a more readily available endless tape format may be an interesting approach.
If I recall correctly there should be same tape like in standard MC cassets - in original HiPac format (which is same format like these echo cartridges) is tape joined by thin metal foil strip for player to tell where record ends.

if you can find HiPac cartridge, it can be converted for echo cartridge too :tu:
but they are rare as a hens teeth as well
peps1

Post by peps1 »

The-kangass wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:03 pm if you can find HiPac cartridge, it can be converted for echo cartridge too :tu:
but they are rare as a hens teeth as well
Yeah, been do some research and looks like the Apollon cartridge is the same as the PLAYTAPE format (that I was able to find the patent for.

Bothe PLAYTAPE and Compact Cassette or Musicassette (MC) use 1/8" tape, and the endless MC tapes you can still get for £8 a pop use the same kinematics system of the pinch roller doing all the work, and the tape feeding from the inside of the spool and respooling on the outside (think 8track is the same?). So fundamentally think a 3D printed Apollon shaped adapter with pinch roller could be made that would take easy to find endless Compact Cassettes.

The-kangass

Post by The-kangass »

I think this cartridge is driven by that rubber wheel on the edge so I am not sure about adapter...
but you can definetely make whole thing and feed it with standart 1/8" tape.
peps1

Post by peps1 »

The-kangass wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:19 pm I think this cartridge is driven by that rubber wheel on the edge so I am not sure about adapter...
but you can definetely make whole thing and feed it with standart 1/8" tape.
I'm 97% sure the rubber wheel in the cartridge itself is just a passive spring-mounted wheel, and the drive is from the pinch roller inside the Univox EC units.

I'm thinking this purely on not seeing any holes in the cartages where you could drive the internal wheel and would be mechanically difficult to have a spring-mounted pinch roller as normally the dive side is fixed to the motor, and the mating passive wheel would be spring mounted.

So, think it's passive and just there to tension and guide against the actual powered rotary motion that is driven by the effects unit.....but I could be wrong, it happens a lot!

Think they are totally reproducible in original form factor and as an adapter, and would quite like to try it (think you could even FDM print them). But would rather do it as an open-source project so people could download and print their own. rather than just making a load myself and selling them.
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

I wont have time today, but if its desired tomorrow I can crack one of these cartridges open and answer all these questions, BUT given that there is no other drive mechanism that interfaces with the cartridge, I can tell you that the rubber wheel is passive.
peps1

Post by peps1 »

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:53 pm I wont have time today, but if its desired tomorrow I can crack one of these cartridges open and answer all these questions, BUT given that there is no other drive mechanism that interfaces with the cartridge, I can tell you that the rubber wheel is passive.
Thanks, dude. The more info the better! Would love some measurement, just length width, height so I got an idea of scale and can throw something simple into CAD as a placeholder.
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

peps1 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:40 pm
Dr Tony Balls wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:53 pm I wont have time today, but if its desired tomorrow I can crack one of these cartridges open and answer all these questions, BUT given that there is no other drive mechanism that interfaces with the cartridge, I can tell you that the rubber wheel is passive.
Thanks, dude. The more info the better! Would love some measurement, just length width, height so I got an idea of scale and can throw something simple into CAD as a placeholder.
Here's this for now. Looks like the dimensions are 85mm x 70mm x 12mm. Can crack it open in a bit. Also if you need any measurements from a delay unit these go in, I can provide. If you click through to Flickr you can view the full size images.