Introducing, Blunt Force Audio

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

Doc Holliday

Re: Introducing, Blunt Force Audio

Post by Doc Holliday »

Indeed. There’s a lot of builders offering the same offerings.
Nice to see a fresh approach.
There’s that many offerings these days it’ll be originality I think that will be the difference
Radiotron

Post by Radiotron »

Thanks again everyone! I've said it a couple times before but I do mean it, I really appreciate the input.

I was afraid the alternative design might scare off potential buyers, guitar players are traditionalist after all, but I'm glad to hear you disagree.

And thanks for the encouraging words regarding the Instagram account, I'm very much out of my comfort zone there.
I'm just posting whatever I'd like to see myself and hoping there's other nuts out there who also enjoy staring at ancient colorful electronic parts :badteeth:
Radiotron

Post by Radiotron »

Some more questions for you:

What type of material would you prefer: 2mm aluminum or 1.5mm galvanized steel?
Both will make a very sturdy enclosure (though steel definitely takes the lead here) but the aluminum will be considerably lighter.

Does anyone forsee any issues with the sloped back, holding the jacks?
The jacks will be at an angle of course, but the angle isn't as steep and the sockets not as high as they are on a Mk-II for instance.

Lach wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:23 pm I love it! Looks great. I really dig the more of a tribute route rather than replica when it come to enclosure, like how Antti did such a stunning job with the Thunderbird enclosures.
Thanks! I couldn't agree more, Antti did an amazing job on those!
The heritage is clear but it's a unique design all its own, a true tribute.

HorseyBoy wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:47 pm And I love what you're doing with your enclosures. Mostly I dig that you're really thinking about them from different angles (pun may or may not be intended). I have a love/hate relationship with a lot of enclosures. I love the shape and look of the old Sola enclosures, for example, or Colorsound wahs, but they give me conniption fits whenever I want to open them up. Ideally, enclosures need to look good, be easy to work with (including replacing batteries and switches) and wire up, and be strong enough to take repeated stompings and punishment. You're ticking all the boxes. :tu:

Thanks! That's very helpful.
I opted to use PEM nuts for durability (no more stripped screw holes) and easier access etc.

For the second enclosure design the construction will be similar to that of the Dizzy Tone, with the "body" consisting of 3 parts spot welded together and a separate bottom plate just holding the feet and battery clip.
The idea is that it would swing out (like a hinge) similar to the the FY2 or Fuzztone cases, so there's only two knurled nuts to be loosened to gain access to the battery.

Personally I like the simplicity and effectiveness of such a design but can imagine some would prefer a Rat style battery door.

Anyone have a strong opinion on battery access design? :badteeth:
simonm

Post by simonm »

Radiotron wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:53 pm Some more questions for you:

What type of material would you prefer: 2mm aluminum or 1.5mm galvanized steel?
Both will make a very sturdy enclosure (though steel definitely takes the lead here) but the aluminum will be considerably lighter.
I’m having the same thoughts - steel seems best, but I’m planning to try some 2mm alu too. Not sure about the different grades though - some are more brittle and don’t bent easily apparently.
Handmade, high-impact, great-looking radical queer germanium fuzz. A different approach to 1960s-inspired fuzz pedals, no clones, check them out at https://goodfuzzysounds.com or on YouTube https://tinyurl.com/GFS-YT
Radiotron

Post by Radiotron »

Sorry for the very late reply!
The higher grade alloys containing Silicon and/or Magnesium are very hard and might break/shear when bending.
They're great for machining, not so much for sheet work that requires folds