Nick's Tone Bender is broken -- please help!

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

moose

Re: Nick's Tone Bender is broken -- please help!

Post by moose »

I don't like the look of those frayed ground/shield wires on the footswitch. Battery pushing against wires may be pulling that mess down and on to the switch.
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

Thanks all. I've isolated the jack sockets, and have rejiggled the position of the battery in various different ways, but now whenever I try to put the pedal back together, it just cuts out altogether. Again, it's fine with the top half 'resting' in place, but as soon as I firmly push it down so that the holes for the screws are aligned, the sound cuts out completely.
The dodgy frayed wiring seems reasonably stable (for now), as I wasn't able to create any problems by nudging it about while plugged in...

edit: jiggled with the battery some more (this time it's back on its side again), and the input/output wiring is tucked underneath the battery, and the pedal is now fastened back together properly and sounds good. Time will tell as to whether it lasts, but I feel like the issue must be somewhere there.
resynthesis

Post by resynthesis »

Another guess :) Have you checked continuity of input and output cables? Maybe tucking them under the battery is holding a damaged cable in place. If the cable is damaged input level may be low. Are they solid core cables?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Ah, that's a good idea. The cables are stranded. If/when it breaks down next, then that'll be the first thing I try!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Guess whose Tone Bender stopped working again :smashed:

This time I removed the battery cover to jiggle around with the wiring, to see whether that might cause it to snap back to life without actually dismantling the pedal this time, but hasn't shown any signs at all.
daCod

Post by daCod »

Nick wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:33 pm Guess whose Tone Bender stopped working again :smashed:

This time I removed the battery cover to jiggle around with the wiring, to see whether that might cause it to snap back to life without actually dismantling the pedal this time, but hasn't shown any signs at all.
surprised nobody has asked this yet - why are you playing it? aren't you just supposed to look and admire old fuzz boxes?

:whistle: :coffee: :smashed: :hihi:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Nick

Post by Nick »

daCod wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:37 pm
Nick wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:33 pm Guess whose Tone Bender stopped working again :smashed:

surprised nobody has asked this yet - why are you playing it? aren't you just supposed to look and admire old fuzz boxes?

My next-door neighbour keeps slamming his kitchen cabinets or something into the wall that we share, and fuzzboxes are the only way I can think of exacting revenge for this upon him. The good news is that I have four Fuzzrites here, for the same purpose, but ideally I'd like to get this MKI working for when aforementioned Fuzzrites need a break :whistle:
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

daCod wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:37 pm

It belongs in a museum! :smashed:
Everything is transitional.
daCod

Post by daCod »

Love it :party:

My vote is there’s a ghost in the machine. Crazy you can’t replicate the issue no matter how hard you try. Maybe it is a dodgy temperamental or possibly slowly dying component. Especially since messing about with the wires doesn’t do anything. :idunno:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Spook

Post by Spook »

I had a loose "terminal" leg on a fuzz face once, just like your tb it came to life and died at will.....was a pita to figure out.
I bent it a bit to keep it connected and put a drop of superglue,

i feel your pain
:pazuzu: