Tone Bender MKII Circuit Low Gain Trannys

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

FUZZTX

Tone Bender MKII Circuit Low Gain Trannys

Post by FUZZTX »

Does anyone have any experience with using low gain trannys in a MKII circuit?

I tried some OC76's that measured 37,38, & 39 and it sounded really good. With Attach turned down all the way it was in Fuzz Face territory. Full up it was quite fuzzy with a lot of sustain and went into nice feedback even at a fairly low volume. Biased at 7.5 volts sounded nice and tight. Biasing down to about 6.5 - 7 volts actually increased the fuzz amount slightly and smoothed the tone out a bit. Both sounded killer.

No other low gain transistors I have sound good, though (2N1305, 2N13082N404, 2N1370, 2N1377, & a number of Russian's)! Only the OC76's worked! I don't have any other OCXX Transistors to try.

I have read that The Captain has built MKII's with low gain trannys, but also understand that the measurements are a trade secret and I fully respect that.

I am honestly baffled at good it sounded!

Any ideas, comments, or experience?
capricorn_1

Re: Tone Bender MKII Circuit Low Gain Trannys

Post by capricorn_1 »

i have done a few MKIIs a while ago with relatively low gain OC71s that sounded pretty cool to me. :tu:
last couple i have done have been quite a bit higher.
all with external bias controls.
Ghost Effects, Birmingham, UK

the Sizzle Hills are Chapel Perilous - Sickle
FUZZTX

Post by FUZZTX »

Thanks for your response. I'll keep experimenting with low gainers. I tried some high gain combos last night and those sounded cool, too!
Taller76

Post by Taller76 »

Higher hfe usually means higher lc...which usually means more noise and less definition...or sometimes a constipated sounding pedal with all of the noise biased out.
I happen to like the lower gain stuff in most of my MKII builds... They are not quite as low as yours typically...but still lower by a lot of peoples standards.
Dont get too hung up on hfe...pay attention to the little details (like bias and lc)...experiment with different flavors of OC7X and OC8X and any other transistors that work...they all have their own flavor....bottom line, let yours ears guide you.

Good Luck
Thanks for the American dream,
To vulgarize and to falsify until the bare lies shine through.
Laundromat

Re:

Post by Laundromat »

Taller76 wrote:Higher hfe usually means higher lc...which usually means more noise and less definition
This isn't necessarily the case in my experience.
Condolences, the bums lost!
Taller76

Post by Taller76 »

Thats why I said usually :wink2:
Its all relative I guess...but lc over .30 mA usually makes for a useless transistor in a MKII...way too much noise, and if you can get it quiet enough by biasing it differently, they usually sound constipated and not very musical...at least in my experience and opinion. The gain on the ones that end up with lc over .30mA are (in my experience) usually on the highest end of the gain scale when compared to the rest of a batch of the same transistors manufactured at the same time.

:cheers:

Thanks for the American dream,
To vulgarize and to falsify until the bare lies shine through.
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

If you're using a Peak Atlas tester, the given value is Iceo, which is affected by both leakage and gain.
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

'Forget about the fucking Toe!' :hihi:

Good advice Mr.Tall. :tu: Ears be where it's at. I dig OC71's for low(er) gain happenings.
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

the dude abides....(who IS this dude, anyhow?)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

Didn't mean to come off sounding like an asshole, but I think I just did. Didn't have time to come up with the usual funny bits. :party:

I've also played around with OC71's and I like them. They're bit like little OC75. I also like how higher gain 71's and lower gain 75's overlap in values. I've noticed they take a little more work for me to get around some stutters and getting enough character out of them.

I'd be miserable if I had to make a MKII out of transistors with zero leakage. :hihi:
High gain and leakage can get things too saturated and buzzy though. But like the Blue Öyster Cult song goes "Don't fear the leakage...".
Sometimes a bit more of it can get rid of some hiss.
psycho*daisies wrote:the dude abides....(who IS this dude, anyhow?)