DnF vs. M-25?

Hybrid fuzz tones to achieve sonic enlightenment.

Moderator: The Captain

imguitardan

DnF vs. M-25?

Post by imguitardan »

Are they the same but different? In what ways?

I have an M-25 ( and LOVE it). I'm wondering if I'd feel the same way about the DnF...

:zombiehuh:
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Dudewater

Post by Dudewater »

The DnF is awesome, such a wide array of tones at your fingertips....
You can have the filter at half way and adjust it depending on what guitar you are using to have fat low end fuzzy goodness that still cuts through the mix
I think it even works well as a germanium boost if you tip it towards the germanium side and lower the attack to about half way.
Each time i use it, seems like i come up with even more combinations with tweaking of guitar knobs to get even more sounds out of it...

It covers most bases in terms of more vintage sounds (dont be fooled, it packs a punch on higher settings too) and cleans up sooo well.... lets just say i dont think i could ever get rid of this pedal haha

The Meathead is more of a modern twist on vintage fuzz, with an ultra violent higher gain sound... looking to kill and ask questions later

the DnF is the kind of classy fuzz you would introduce to mum, BUT then it has a wild side that you didnt know about, into all different kind of shit, like stuff from japan....
cubba

Re: DnF vs. M-25?

Post by cubba »

The DnF has a lot less gain that the M-25.
The DnF gain knob is more usable, as the drive develops in a more linear way than the M-25.
The M-25 is more brutal, tho' the DnF maxed gets fairly heavy.
I love the DnF and would never go without it.
The M-25 is a wicked, hairy beast and I totally dig the heavy tone it gives you,
but in my current situation, the DnF works best for what I'm after.
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
mjab-1

Post by mjab-1 »

Not to jack the thread but i've read a few things about "tipping" or "adjusting" a DNF toward the germanium side or the silicon side.
How is this possible? isn't it just both transistors working together?Filter just controls bass content, and trimpot is for bias, or am I
missing something?
The Captain

Re:

Post by The Captain »

Regrading the differences, cubba and Dudewater pretty much nailed andthing that needed to be said :tu:

mjab-1 wrote:Not to jack the thread but i've read a few things about "tipping" or "adjusting" a DNF toward the germanium side or the silicon side.
How is this possible?
Its not. You said it, man. Filter controls bass content and the internal trimmer is for the bias. Its not intended as a user friendly control so there ain't much play in it. Its really just to help us out with the build process. There certainly ain't no way to swing it for more germanium /silicon in the mix. It don't work that way. You just get a little under or over saturation is all.
smogfalls

Post by smogfalls »

the drag n' fly is still my #1 D*A*M. It's a constant on my pedal board, and I use it in a similar way to what Dudewater mentioned... I have the attack at 10 o'clock, the level at 3 o'clock and the filter at 2 o'clock. This is going into an already medium overdriven "plexi" voiced amp. Sounds absolutely bad-ass!
Xan :)
Guitar Lessons - Online via Skype or in Nottingham, England

http://alexfarran.webs.com

Shape Lieutenant - Progressive Rock/Metal/Jazz...

http://soundcloud.com/shape-lt/shape-lt ... -june-2011