Differences between Meathead pedals?

For the explorer in the realms of distortion generation.

Moderator: The Captain

drunkenguitarist

Differences between Meathead pedals?

Post by drunkenguitarist »

I had the Black & Gold version before. I'm wondering what the differences are between that and the one with the hammerite w/ red lettering.
The reason I ask is because the B & G was tuned way low. Which I thought was great for dropped tunings, but kinda fluttered out at around standard pitch.
Does Mr. Main change things up every time he releases a new model?
Last edited by drunkenguitarist on Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
JP30

Re: Differences between Meatheads pedals?

Post by JP30 »

The Captain wrote: These Meatheads are FAT. In a nutshell designed with high gain bridge humbuckers in mind. Very close to the Doom-tastic Meats from a few years ago.
I'm still using the BC239C and BC184L combo for the transistors. Its a nice pair :badteeth:
Extracted from D*A*M direct. when the Black and gold Meat was sold.
they are darker sounding, as I understand.

Silver Hamm. with Black letter or red letter that we are after is standard tuned. I think...
I am no meathead expert. . . . we need sickle. :cthulhu:
i love sharin foo

Post by i love sharin foo »

I have one of the grey hammerite ones with red text, so as soon as that B&G one gets here, I'll let you know how they compare. I have been wondering about this myself actually. I sent the Captain a message about it, but haven't heard back. I'm sure he's busy though, so it'll be first hand from here on :lol2:
drunkenguitarist

Post by drunkenguitarist »

i love sharin foo wrote:I have one of the grey hammerite ones with red text, so as soon as that B&G one gets here, I'll let you know how they compare. I have been wondering about this myself actually. I sent the Captain a message about it, but haven't heard back. I'm sure he's busy though, so it'll be first hand from here on :lol2:
Awesome. You have to post some sound and video clips. :tu:
Jazzandmetal?

Re: Differences between Meathead pedals?

Post by Jazzandmetal? »

I had a Black and White that was tuned like the Grey Hammerite ones and I have a Black and Gold. The B&G is much better sounding IMO. I just didn't like the mid hump that the black and white had. At the same time I compared it to my friends early purple meathead that is in a bit of a smaller box and a very early serial number and that one had more bass and was actually more quite than the B&G and B&W. I would love to get that older one, but my friend refuses to part with it.

We had all three one knob meatheads chained together for this comparison also.

The newer tuned ones seem to be better for palm muted stuff or if you have a darker set up.
i love sharin foo

Jazzandmetal? wrote:I had a Black and White that was tuned like the Grey Hammerite ones and I have a Black and Gold. The B&G is much better sounding IMO. I just didn't like the mid hump that the black and white had. At the same time I compared it to my friends early purple meathead that is in a bit of a smaller box and a very early serial number and that one had more bass and was actually more quite than the B&G and B&W. I would love to get that older one, but my friend refuses to part with it.

The newer tuned ones seem to be better for palm muted stuff or if you have a darker set up.
Any idea what number your pal's purple one is? I have number 34 (which is black) and it isn't low heavy at all. It ahs this huge midrange with a strong high end bite. It sounds really nice. It seems like the really, really thick sounding ones must be earlier than it. Either way, it's a keeper though!
Jazzandmetal?

Post by Jazzandmetal? »

i love sharin foo wrote:
Jazzandmetal? wrote:I had a Black and White that was tuned like the Grey Hammerite ones and I have a Black and Gold. The B&G is much better sounding IMO. I just didn't like the mid hump that the black and white had. At the same time I compared it to my friends early purple meathead that is in a bit of a smaller box and a very early serial number and that one had more bass and was actually more quite than the B&G and B&W. I would love to get that older one, but my friend refuses to part with it.

Any idea what number your pal's purple one is? I have number 34 (which is black) and it isn't low heavy at all. It ahs this huge midrange with a strong high end bite. It sounds really nice. It seems like the really, really thick sounding ones must be earlier than it. Either way, it's a keeper though!
I will try to find out. I believe it is lower than serial number 30.
d4niel

Post by d4niel »

Well, SBlue has recorded clips of an old purple one, a deluxe and a "current production". It seems like everyone missed that thread, sucked up in a vaccum. Can't believe he didn't get more credit for those gems! :freak:
Check it out: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1260
i love sharin foo

d4niel wrote:Well, SBlue has recorded clips of an old purple one, a deluxe and a "current production". It seems like everyone missed that thread, sucked up in a vaccum. Can't believe he didn't get more credit for those gems! :freak:
Check it out: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1260
I noticed that awesome thread already. The clips are really helpful. Thank you SBlue!

I think this thread was more about comparing a black n gold and a red text/ gray hammerite. But I guess in the end though, apparently the red text is just like the standard black text and also the black n gold similar to the earliest bass heavy ones, so really, that is kinda on the mark.

I never knew if the red text/ gray hammer models sounded the same as the standard black text ones, so that's cool to know that they are. Now I won't have to try to get one of the pink sparkle or red barons... :hihi:
JP30

Post by JP30 »

Sickle wrote: black and gold Meatheads are much more similar to the early Meatheads, having a more powerful bass response. I'm not sure if this is due to a larger output cap, or what, but my own black and gold Meathead is different from all the others, its tuned to 'Slo mod' stats, making it a dirty low-balling fucker indeed. Sucks none of you guys have one like it..There's only two I know of.
:fu: BUT...
Something is coming down the road soon-ish, and...
I'm not saying another furking word about it.
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
:stirpot: Thanks Sickle...
you are helping me to hold on to my money every time you give out a little hint of that to come. honestly, I would ve spend all my tax return that I got back like a fool if it wasn't for that mystery Blue pedal picture you've posted...

this is going to be a year of Meathead for me. I got my DLX and one knobber coming my way !! finally....