Just got my Meathead Dark... OMG

For the explorer in the realms of distortion generation.

Moderator: The Captain

Tricalibur

Just got my Meathead Dark... OMG

Post by Tricalibur »

This is seriously one of the most fantastic sounding stompboxes I have ever heard in my life. In the past I have never really liked fuzz boxes too much, however, this thing has so much grit and fuzz yet still retains enough tightness for palm mutes and squeals and has an ass tone of low end. It has even outscored my Sonic Titan as my favorite pedal at this point. I only wish my Matamp was working so I could run it into my 4x12 + 2x15 stack and hear what it really sounds like. For now, though, I'll just have to make do with running it into my puny SS 1x12.

I did a quick audio demo to give you guys an idea of what it sounds like. SM57 close micd on the 1x12 combo into Cubase Essentials4. Once the big amp is repaired I'll have another heavy song comin so ya'll can really hear the MEAT.

See if you can name the songs at the end...

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8224304
Scott

Re: Just got my Meathead Dark... OMG

Post by Scott »

the ending was the BEST!! nice job. Killer tone!
professor plum

Post by professor plum »

:drool: i really fucking need one of these pedals.

p.s. thanks a ton for the clip! there arn't to many dark clips floating around...
analog love <3/
zerorez

Post by zerorez »

Tricalibur wrote:This is seriously one of the most fantastic sounding stompboxes I have ever heard in my life. In the past I have never really liked fuzz boxes too much, however, this thing has so much grit and fuzz yet still retains enough tightness for palm mutes and squeals and has an ass tone of low end. It has even outscored my Sonic Titan as my favorite pedal at this point. I only wish my Matamp was working so I could run it into my 4x12 + 2x15 stack and hear what it really sounds like. For now, though, I'll just have to make do with running it into my puny SS 1x12.

I did a quick audio demo to give you guys an idea of what it sounds like. SM57 close micd on the 1x12 combo into Cubase Essentials4. Once the big amp is repaired I'll have another heavy song comin so ya'll can really hear the MEAT.

See if you can name the songs at the end...

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8224304
That MHD sounds F'N awesome, I thought the speaker cone was going to explode and damn thing was going to rip out of the frame! :hihi:

Very cool pedal indeed, congrats! :cheers:
drunkenguitarist

Post by drunkenguitarist »

Great clip, man! Dethklok! :crackjam:

The Meathead Dark was just too obscene for my tiny amp.

It's probably the heaviest fuzz pedal I've ever played through.
JP30

Post by JP30 »

i played with Meathead Dark at Sickle's last night.

I don't know how the Dark will react to my little amp, but it was awesome through Sickle's amps...

back to back against standard meat, and DARK 's added bottom end sound big !

may be... I like it better than my Deluxe.
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I agree with your findings on the Meathead, that is one genius pedal. I only got turned on to it in the last year or so but I kept thinking the whole time I was playing, "What the hell have I been missing out on this whole time?" It is a genius design,for sure. I ended up with three versions in the end. I have the Dark, the B&G (which is somewhere between the Dark and regular), and the regular voiced meat.

So far my favorite has been the B&G, I can get some tasty tones and the bass has a nice thump. I find the dark needs bigger amps to open up and breathe for maximum tonal benefits but they are sound great. Congratulations on your entry into the realm of the one-knob wonder.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Tricalibur

Post by Tricalibur »

Played it through the 4x12 + 2x15 stack today and the sound was crushing despite the solid state amplification. This thing just screams of Sleep's Dopesmoker. Super huge, wholly fuzz with disgusting amounts of low end. It is sludgy yet still retains enough attack for faster riffing.

I recorded a jam and split it up into four parts to make a little demo showcasing the Meats range and also recorded a comparison clip of my Sonic Titan.

Pt 1 - Clean intro + Meaty Riffage
Pt 2 - Feedback / Drone
Pt 3 - Guitar volume rolled off 70%
Pt 4 - Sonic Titan!

Meathad Dark w/ 'Dirt' at about 3:00 > Marshall MG100 > Marshall 1960b 4x12 > Emperor 2x15
Last edited by Tricalibur on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
molokaio

Post by molokaio »

ps: urls link incorrectly... ;)
Live Slow... Die old...
Tricalibur

Post by Tricalibur »

Oops, sorry. Fixed.