Meathead = Fuzz Face?

For the explorer in the realms of distortion generation.

Moderator: The Captain

thesjkexperience

Re: Meathead = Fuzz Face?

Post by thesjkexperience »

As a geezer playing a vintage style Strats and JMs the Meat does work very well with the volume and tones!
Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you a King. -- Bob Dylan

"ripped out of the sky reforming thought into creation electric motion begins" - Linzi
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Cool, I didn't realize that's what it is, thanks Cap'n.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

1bottlerocket wrote:Cool, I didn't realize that's what it is, thanks Cap'n.
I rest my case :badteeth: I did actually have the Fuzz Face/Muff Fuzz crap on the Meathead page years ago explaining the origins. Most folk at the time after hearing one seemed to think it was based on the Rat so I kinda thought it would be wise not to try and sell it as Fuzz Face derivative.
professor plum

Post by professor plum »

The Captain wrote:
1bottlerocket wrote:Cool, I didn't realize that's what it is, thanks Cap'n.
I rest my case :badteeth: I did actually have the Fuzz Face/Muff Fuzz crap on the Meathead page years ago explaining the origins. Most folk at the time after hearing one seemed to think it was based on the Rat so I kinda thought it would be wise not to try and sell it as Fuzz Face derivative.
do you have that info that was on the site somewhere you can just copy and paste it here in this thread? i would be curious the read it if it wasnt a pain in the ass the dig up...
analog love <3/
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

...from teh D*A*M business plan wrote:The “Meathead” is a beefed up mutant version of the 1970’s “Dallas Music Industries Fuzz Face” and the “Electro Harmonix Muff Fuzz”. It has a very fat tone with an excellent bass response and cleans up wonderfully with the guitar volume backed off, something which the silicon Fuzz Face and the Muff Fuzz did not do well. Both these vintage effects are also very prone to noise and interference but fortunately the Meathead has very low background noise for such a high output silicon device. The Meathead also features correctly biased gain selected transistors so the tone is very articulate and dynamic, again something which the Fuzz Face and Muff Fuzz did not have.

The Meathead is border line between overdrive and fuzz box, the tone produced is very natural sounding and has a very woody organic quality.
Its main role is as a booster to push overdriven tube amplifiers over the top in to huge wall of meaty fuzz that will maintain good string definition and clarity even at high saturation.
Old shit is old.....and pretty damn cheesy :hihi:
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

It is genius design. I was never attracted to them initially but after I played one I was floored. What was I thinking!?
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
professor plum

Post by professor plum »

thanks captain!

thats pretty cool to know... i didnt know the muff fuzz was related to the fuzz face, though i knew it wasnt like a big muff.
someday very soon im guna get my hands on a dark meathead as my first D*A*M and shits gunna explode :marx:
analog love <3/
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

Yah. I don't get much clean up with the MH Deluxe. Even with the attack & filter all the way off, it still uses my balls as a punching bag.
It's like an orange on a toothpick
GarethFlatlands

Post by GarethFlatlands »

The Captain wrote:The Meathead is supposed to break things. :hihi:
Which sounds like exactly what I need :oldgrin:

I've got a couple of weeks off work soon so am hooking up a breadboard and making me the filthiest fuzz I can to tide me over until a Meathead turns up for sale.
AGuitarPlayer

Post by AGuitarPlayer »

GarethFlatlands wrote:
The Captain wrote:The Meathead is supposed to break things. :hihi:
Which sounds like exactly what I need :oldgrin:

I've got a couple of weeks off work soon so am hooking up a breadboard and making me the filthiest fuzz I can to tide me over until a Meathead turns up for sale.
Buy one from Downstroke. I think there are still a few available.