Transistor type, which is bestest?

Tone-Bending electronic fuzz unit, harmonic generator with 20 second sustain.

Moderator: The Captain

devnulljp

Re: Transistor type, which is bestest?

Post by devnulljp »

joebob wrote:No one mentionnd the AC176 ??? MKII #4 has them !!! :chillin:
That's because it's the only one (AFAIK).
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
joebob

Post by joebob »

Hummm, i see , i would like toknow still what is their tonal property alike ??? :captain:
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

hard to say, I've only compared with OC84 and AC125. It's less gainy and angry than the AC125, more gated raspy and hairy than the OC84.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
joebob

Re:

Post by joebob »

devnulljp wrote:hard to say, I've only compared with OC84 and AC125. It's less gainy and angry than the AC125, more gated raspy and hairy than the OC84.
Thanks Alan, i wish i can have The Captain option on this one... :coffee:
jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

Great read! Any more comments and ideas on different transistors' types?

Where does the D*A*M/Sola fit?
AGuitarPlayer

Post by AGuitarPlayer »

This is a comment pertaining to Dave's builds in particular rather than the intrinsic qualities of different transistors. I have owned a D*A*M OC81D and OC75 Pro and a D*A*M/Sola and can offer some thoughts on these particular MKIIs.

OC81D (D*A*M Pro MKII #60): Thick, vocal midrange, almost like a slightly cocked wah. Dave's use of the word "soupy" is appropriate. Very high gain/compressed. Does not clean up completely, but a nice range of crunch tones are available via guitar volume manipulation. Sounds great over the entire range of the attack control.

OC75 (D*A*M Pro MKII #166): Open midrange. Smooth. Medium gain. Decent cleanup. Best tones available in upper 1/2 range of attack control. Fits between the 81D & 84 in general sonic characteristics.

OC84 (D*A*M/Sola MKII #47): Intense low-mid push. Early Sabbath/LZ's"How Many More Times" on tap: heavy but very low gain. Dynamic. Retains good signal clarity (sounds closer). Somewhat gated. Inarticulate when guitar volume is lowered. Best sounds achieved with attack control at maximum. Slightly more overall volume available.

All sounded excellent.

Regarding the lack of musical cleanup w/ the Sola, I have wondered whether it had a slight bias problem or maybe was simply not a good match for my setup (Strat/Fender amp) in this regard. I heard Dan's and it cleaned up much better, albeit through a very different setup (P90 SG/Marshall). But holy shit, mine sounded great with the volume maxed.
imguitardan

Post by imguitardan »

AGuitarPlayer wrote:This is a comment pertaining to Dave's builds in particular rather than the intrinsic qualities of different transistors. I have owned a D*A*M OC81D and OC75 Pro and a D*A*M/Sola and can offer some thoughts on these particular MKIIs.

OC81D (D*A*M Pro MKII #60): Thick, vocal midrange, almost like a slightly cocked wah. Dave's use of the word "soupy" is appropriate. Very high gain/compressed. Does not clean up completely, but a nice range of crunch tones are available via guitar volume manipulation. Sounds great over the entire range of the attack control.

OC75 (D*A*M Pro MKII #166): Open midrange. Smooth. Medium gain. Decent cleanup. Best tones available in upper 1/2 range of attack control. Fits between the 81D & 84 in general sonic characteristics.

OC84 (D*A*M/Sola MKII #47): Intense low-mid push. Early Sabbath/LZ's"How Many More Times" on tap: heavy but very low gain. Dynamic. Retains good signal clarity (sounds closer). Somewhat gated. Inarticulate when guitar volume is lowered. Best sounds achieved with attack control at maximum. Slightly more overall volume available.

All sounded excellent.

Regarding the lack of musical cleanup w/ the Sola, I have wondered whether it had a slight bias problem or maybe was simply not a good match for my setup (Strat/Fender amp) in this regard. I heard Dan's and it cleaned up much better, albeit through a very different setup (P90 SG/Marshall). But holy shit, mine sounded great with the volume maxed.

I have no reason to take pride in your admiration of my Sola MKII's ability to clean up (but somehow, I still have). :dance:
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

To my ears D*A*M with OC84s has low mid push, while D*A*M/Sola is more scooped. I guess I have to try one with OC75s next :marx:
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

Attachments
Screen shot 2011-05-13 at 11.19.41 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-05-13 at 11.19.41 PM.png (413.65 KiB) Viewed 11282 times
Screen shot 2011-05-13 at 11.19.50 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-05-13 at 11.19.50 PM.png (389.75 KiB) Viewed 11282 times
Screen shot 2011-05-13 at 11.20.02 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-05-13 at 11.20.02 PM.png (615.7 KiB) Viewed 11282 times
Screen shot 2011-05-13 at 11.20.14 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-05-13 at 11.20.14 PM.png (238.45 KiB) Viewed 11282 times
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
copachino

Post by copachino »

im not so sure if i can get any help here a i have a MKII but i had to replace the transistor for a newer ones and some capacitors, but i have only get some militar grade trannies from small bear they are on the gains of MKII but somehow the pedal now sounds like a bit darker and to much bass, i have check the voltages and they are:

at min:
Q1:-8.38V
Q2:-0.589V
Q3:-7.7v

at max gain:
Q1:-8.38V
Q2:-0.4V
Q3:-7.73v

are these values ok?? or i have to change the resistor to get different voltages??, im not so sure where to move