Keeley Java boost CV7003 vs DAM red rooster... info?

Tonal shaping & volume boosting delivered with germanium love.

Moderator: The Captain

molokaio

Keeley Java boost CV7003 vs DAM red rooster... info?

Post by molokaio »

I currently have a java boost with a CV7003. it's a great unit, allows me a full band boost besides mid and treble boost. BUT it becomes pretty noisy when stacked with ODs. Had the worst out when coupled with a BK tube driver. The white noise was hearable even while playing, with my single coil vanzandt blues.

Now...
I read around the forum that the red rooster is a fantastic pedal and very very silent on the hum side.
i wonder if any of you guys ever had them both, and was able to compare them, and clear my ideas a little.

I'm looking forward for the lists to open back and place a couple of orders, including the rooster.
I'll surely be missing the full band dirty boost, but i think i'll sacrifice it for some more fidelity soundwise.
Live Slow... Die old...
Richard Groff

Re: Keeley Java boost CV7003 vs DAM red rooster... info?

Post by Richard Groff »

I don't own a Red Rooster but I regularly use a Java Boost and will be getting together with Paul tonight to run a bunch of pedals through my Germino Lead 55 (including a RR0). I'll report back and give you a review.
molokaio

Post by molokaio »

that would be sweet man. thanks! :)
Live Slow... Die old...
duende

Post by duende »

I tried a Java Boost in a store. The biggest difference I heard was that it really had this modern sheen to the sound. I did not really hear the germaniums effecting the tone.

I actually preferred a HBE germania over it. As I could hear the germanium "glow" and the effect on my picking attacks.

As for noise... I'm sure they (all the various brands of treble boosters) are all quirky in their own way.

The RR is definitely among the quietest I've tried, and it has all that germanium "glow" in spades.

Sorry to say, I think you won't really know until you try it with your own rig.
molokaio

Post by molokaio »

Thanks a ot my friends.

I really agree on your feeling duende. It's modern sounding. I gotta say I like it when it's on its own. Havent tried to put it AFTER ods.. and see if that soulves the troubles. Can't wait to finish my rig and get a rooster! :D

I really hope in a few months creepyfingers will still be offering the sugar boost and the doomidrive, I'd really love to try them out.
Live Slow... Die old...
muffin man

Post by muffin man »

+1 on the rooster :badlove: you really have to get one :hihi:
kb892

Post by kb892 »

i've got an older OC44 Java and an older RR, they're both great pedals. the java has a lot more gain but, for me only works well for really slammin the front end of my amp with nothing else in the chain. the tone knob on the java is helpful in eliminating the spikiness. the RR has less gain, far less noise, has a great range of tone, and works well before or after just about anything. the only thing it doesn't do is the huge boost that the java does. so in general my RR gets way more usage but if it's just me, a les paul, and an amp the java is great for taking things way over the top as far as tube saturation.
Richard Groff

Post by Richard Groff »

My Java is one of the OC44 versions and I put it side-by-side with Paul's Red Rooster (Cubba). Generally, the Java does sound more modern and the Red Rooster warmer, however the Java has a 3-way toggle switch and a very active tone control that changes the sound considerably. You can tweek them to sound very close to identical with some trial and error, but I still can say I prefer the Rooster. I really don't like fussy pedals that you have to remember settings. One man's "flexible" is my "annoying".

They are both very workable if you have enough amp gain and I was running a Germino Lead 55 into a 2x12 with Greenbacks that has a 100 watt transformer. With humbuckers it breaks up earlier than you might imagine and both boosts did the business in that setup. (Side note: My Creepy Fingers Harakiri sounded massive with and without the boost)

I will try to pick up a Rooster and will also give a try to a CF Sugar Boost, but I'm for sure going to use a boost instead of a fuzz as its the amps distortion I'm really looking for.
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I have to agree with Sickle on a couple of the boosters, The Champ from JC and the Rooster from Dave are simply incredible!
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty

Post by Luca »

I have this Red Rooster on its way...
I have high expectations for it, also because I traded a beautiful Pro Analog MKIII to have this!
I'm not planning to use it with my high clean headroom Victoria Bassman, but I'm pretty confident that through a semi-cranked 5E3 Tweed Deluxe (Victoria 20112 in my case), it will provide a ton of juicy distortion without an enormous volume increase.
Attachments
DAM Red Rooster 4.jpg
DAM Red Rooster 4.jpg (217.75 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
DAM Red Rooster 3.jpg
DAM Red Rooster 3.jpg (176.69 KiB) Viewed 3973 times