Red Rooster trim pot

Tonal shaping & volume boosting delivered with germanium love.

Moderator: The Captain

Luca

Red Rooster trim pot

Post by Luca »

Hello there, I just became the proud owner of a 2007 Red Rooster!
I notice the trim pot inside, and I read the old thread about it.
However, the shape of the trim pot on mine is different than the others I have seen, and I can't understand how it's set now, and how to restore it to factory settings and/or cranking it a little more to achieve a crunchier boost.
Here's a pic. Thanks for the help!
Attachments
DAM Red Rooster 7.jpg
DAM Red Rooster 7.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 6388 times
cubba

Re: Red Rooster trim pot

Post by cubba »

If it sounds good then leave it alone, no?
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

The fascination with randomly fucking with trimpots is one of the worst side effects of Internet music forums if you askme.
You buy something used and the previous owner has twiddled with stuff that was put to a particular setting by the builder for some good reason.
Fair play if you know what you're doing (I certainly don't...my 133t technical skills in this area just about stretch as far as changing a battery; andthen I need a hazmat suit and a week of mental preparation), but my guess is if you have to ask, then don't do it.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
fuzzer

Post by fuzzer »

Something that David Main could implement is to put some nail polish onto the adjustments.
That way the thing stays put and if someone fiddles with it and then sells it, well, then the buyer will know.
note that the adjustments can still be modified by a competent handyman if it is necessary (in case the components drifting with time changes the operation parameteres).
Creepyfingers

Post by Creepyfingers »

Yo

Generally trimpot functions can fall into 2 categories. One being to compensate for the differences in various components like transistor gain. That's the kind of control that is best left to the people building the pedals. The trimpot in the Red Rooster falls into that category. The other category is trimpots that affect the tone and not the operation of the pedal. The internal "pre gain" trimpot in the Keeley Fuzz Head would fall in that category. You just set it by ear. I'd say the bias control on a fuzz face is sort of a combination of both.
For the Rooster you could probably just throw a fresh battery ( exactly 9volts would be a plus ) and set it by ear. If you had a multimeter you could get fancier.

--Brad
Luca

Post by Luca »

Thanks for the replies.
From the pic, can you recognize how is it set now?
fuzzer

Post by fuzzer »

I'd say like at 7 if it was a clock, keeping the reference of the picture.
molokaio

Post by molokaio »

I guessed so as well...
the pot is original, you're just missing the innerpart... I'll check my titan tonight to see if the cut is where the arrow should be...
Live Slow... Die old...
molokaio

Post by molokaio »

looking at sickle's rooster yours should be set like his... the arrow actually is where the cut is...
So yours is at factory default... i guess...

Live Slow... Die old...
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Luca wrote:However, the shape of the trim pot on mine is different than the others I have seen, and I can't understand how it's set now, and how to restore it to factory settings and/or cranking it a little more to achieve a crunchier boost.
Here's a pic. Thanks for the help!
Has the trim pot been re-set?...that you now of...does the pedal sound gated or choppy?