1960s Sounds of the Maestro Fuzz-Tone FZ-1 FZ-1A Fuzz Tone

Post sounds and videos of bands you dig on, even your own.

Moderator: The Captain

HorseyBoy

Re: 1960s Sounds of the Maestro Fuzz Tone FZ-1 & FZ-1A

Post by HorseyBoy »

psycho*daisies wrote:And i must say I'm not 100% that's even a steel guitar with Fuzz-Tone - just a guess, the way he's playing it (whoever it was), is playing similar licks that a harmonica player would play, right? But then some parts just have a resonance like a stringed/guitar. Magnificent production!
I'd always assumed it was a harmonica buried in the mix and it wasn't till your post that I even considered it could be a fuzz, but now I'm sure that's what it is! The longer the song goes, the more you hear it.
And I think it's trem on the main guitar, maybe with a bit of natural reverb from the room. In any case, it's a great, great sound. :cheers:
charge

Re: 1960s Sounds of the Maestro Fuzz-Tone FZ-1 FZ-1A Fuzz To

Post by charge »

Oscar and the Majestics - Soulfinger

psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

Good ol' Oscar & The Majestics!! So many good, fuzzy tunes!
Had to replace a video that was removed a couple pages back. So here's working link - No frills video, not even a photo, but it's about the music and been on YT for 7 years, so it should be here to stay.

The Interns - The Trip
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

^^ Yeah, I've never heard an Oscar and the Majestics track I didn't like. Dude had a fabulous fuzz sound.
This is from a Brisbane band called Steve and the Board, from 1966. Track is "I Want". I'm not 100% sold they used a fuzz box to get the sound but it's a great riff and tone regardless. This was the B-side to a song called "I Call My Woman Hinges (Cause She's Something To Adore)". Seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nesZEOobXYc
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

HorseyBoy wrote:This is from a Brisbane band called Steve and the Board, from 1966. Track is "I Want". I'm not 100% sold they used a fuzz box to get the sound but it's a great riff and tone regardless. This was the B-side to a song called "I Call My Woman Hinges (Cause She's Something To Adore)". Seriously.
Seriously! :hihi:

:listening:

Oh, man that is one truly groovy little number!! :hyper:
That just made my commute on the light rail to work!
I'm holding the phone up to my ear like an old transistor radio.
And it sounds like it should've been an AM radio hit in 1966!
Love everything about that tune: Kinksy riff, love the percussion, tight arrangement.
Great one. Thanks!
PS: I just realized, i'm semi familiar with this band (for one other song). Non fuzzy, but great!
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

^ That's them! I think Steve was actually the producer, Nat Kipner's, son. Also, like Denis Tek later on, a transplanted American. They did a mean version of "Rosalyn" too!
charge

Post by charge »

Rolling Stones - Satisfaction (Saturday Club 18th September 1965)

HorseyBoy

Re: 1960s Sounds of the Maestro Fuzz-Tone FZ-1 FZ-1A Fuzz Tone

Post by HorseyBoy »

More Sanford Clark, this time an awesome fuzzy version of "The Fool" from 1967. Had a hard time finding it on the interweb but here it is as the first track of the album "They Call Me Country". Fuzz kicks in straight away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH3J6Tum1Ws
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

Very cool, horsey! Bass fuzz!! kinda reminds me of Grady Martin on "The Fuzz" (or the fuzz bass break on Marty Robbins', Don't Worry")
----------------------------
Ok, here's one i recently stumbled accross:
"Don't Stop Now" (Russell Faith/Bob Marcucci) - Frankie Avalon. Early (((FuZz-ToNe!!))) c.1963
Not sure who is playing fuzz guitar - definitely a session ringer, Tommy Tedesco, perhaps?

"...“Don’t Stop Now” can hold its own amongst the innumerable great garage rock songs of the era, from its mean and fuzzed out guitar to the fellas what echo Frankie’s cries of “Don’t stop now!” A couple of the songs on the Beach Party soundtrack featured Dick Dale and the Del Tones, but “Don’t Stop Now” isn’t one of them, and I’ve searched in vain for the genius who abuses his guitar on the song..."

http://www.thevinyldistrict.com/storefr ... -stop-now/

If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

How the heck does one directly upload a photo from a mobile phone onto a thread? I used to know...it ain’t rocket science, but can’t seem to find it this morn :doh:
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...