Germanium Transistors for Sale - Tested for Gain & Leakage

Up and coming builder? Sell your creations here...

Moderator: The Captain

PlumCrazy

Germanium Transistors for Sale - Tested for Gain & Leakage

Post by PlumCrazy »

So here are germanium transistors from my personal collection. Most are tested using a Peak DCA55 - marked for Gain & Leakage (if they aren't tested that will be noted in the listing). I will be uploading pictures and descriptions little by little. Please, if you need transistors, or know someone who does, send them my way. I have way more than I could ever use and they will be a better than buying untested stuff and cheaper than some of the go-to places (although I won't be giving them away). I might be open to trades if $ is tight. Here's a start:
CV7112s.jpg
CV7112s.jpg (27.92 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
First up are NOS Black Glass CV7112s which is an NPN transistor and the military version of the OC140. Most are dated late 1971. $6 a piece plus shipping.

I have lots of these in certain gain ranges - tested with the Peak DCA 55, individually bagged, and marked for gain & leakage. There are hundreds available between 50-89hfe and quite a number over 160hfe. I don't have any in the middle range - they are already spoken for. If you know anything about these, they are a great transistor known for super low leakage, stability, quiet operation, and the strange fact that they are symetrical and can actually be run with the collector as the emitter for a different gain reading.

I have used them for germanium boosters where they are quieter than CV7003s that people seem to love but I always thought were a little too noisy. I know they are popular in fuzz pedals and the lower gain ones would be great for lower gain Fuzz Face builds or for Q1 & 2 in MkIII builds.
CV7355s.jpg
CV7355s.jpg (48.16 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
Sleeves of 50 each CV7355 PNP germanium (military version of the 2N1309). $125 for a sleeve of 50. I can't pick hfe/for you but these are nice transitors and most range from around 90hfe up to close to 200hfe. These are great low leakage & low noise transistors. I have used them in boosters and they are the Q2 I use in the Fuzzy Lady and they sound great. 70s production NOS - I've written the hfe/leakage on the sleeve - tested with a Peak DCA 55.
2N1305s.jpg
2N1305s.jpg (22.73 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
NOS 2N1305s. I have a wide gain range of these from TI, ETCO, and others. $2.50 each. Individually bagged/marked - tested with the Peak. Very solid American transistor that makes good Fuzz Faces, etc. Generally lower leakage but some of the higher gain ones have a bit more. I'd say average is in the 70-130 gain range with 50-100ua leakage.
2N404s.jpg
2N404s.jpg (28.63 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
NOS 2N404s. Same story as the 2N1305. I have a ton of these from many different makers. $2.50 per. Individually bagged/marked - tested with the Peak. Generally lower gain than the 2N1305s but still make good Fuzz Face/Rangemaster builds. I'd say average is in the 50-80 gain range with 50-100ua leakage.
AC128Ks.jpg
AC128Ks.jpg (29.72 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
NOS Tungsram AC128Ks. PNP. Lots of 50 for $35 a bag. These things are a trip. You look at them funny and the leakage is going to jump 100ua. They are unstable, heat sensitive, they sound good in some things - as long as you don't care what it sounds like when the heater or AC starts up. Might be good used as diodes, might be good used in something meant to be unstable - I don't know, I haven't had the time to try, yet.
AC188Ks.jpg
AC188Ks.jpg (28.07 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
NOS AC188K. PNP. $1.25 per. These are all over the place and tend to have more leakage than their American counterparts. Some are low gain (30-40hfe) while other range all the way up to 200hfe. The higher gain ones tend to have higher leakage (400ua abouts).

Short-lead Amercan PNP 2N1309s. $1 each. Most are made by General Instruments. These were recovered from equipment but work okay if you are using those Mil-Max TO-5 sockets or are soldering into a PCB board. Leads are probably about 1/4 of an inch. Low leakage suckers (50-100ua, some don't show any on the Peak). Gain ranges start in the low 100s and range to mid 200s. Good for high gain Fuzz Faces, etc.
http://www.plumcrazyfx.com
Everytime i comb my hair, thoughts of u get in my eyes.