SonicVI Champion Fuzz Important Update! (bad news)

Up and coming builder? Sell your creations here...

Moderator: The Captain

MaryKelly

Re: SonicVI Champion Fuzz Important Update! (bad news)

Post by MaryKelly »

The Captain wrote:Shit! This is a bummer, man!! Did they not provide a sample???
They dont make their own screens so they would charge you $150 at least if you wanted to see a sample of their work. When I asked for example photos of their work they refused and said they have to respect the privacy of their clients. Suffice to say not being able to say "I did this and this" to a prospective client made me completely lose interest in anything other that getting painted boxes from them. Other people who have had screening troubles have consistently recommended going to a local shop where you can see the screens before the printing and make sure everything is right.
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Oh my that is a little odd. :hmm: I assumed they did the screening themselves. I currently buy my enclosures from them and those guys have been great to me. They even got me the 1590P1 in stock so I only have a good vibes for them. Though it is normal to get a sample or at least a visual confirmation on said paid artwork. But, if its outta house I guess they'd have to bare the brunt of that.

Well there ya go, another business opportunely for any arty folk out there. Set up a pedal based screen printing company. :tu:
MaryKelly

Post by MaryKelly »

The Captain wrote:Oh my that is a little odd. :hmm: I assumed they did the screening themselves. I currently buy my enclosures from them and those guys have been great to me. They even got me the 1590P1 in stock so I only have a good vibes for them. Though it is normal to get a sample or at least a visual confirmation on said paid artwork. But, if its outta house I guess they'd have to bare the brunt of that.

Well there ya go, another business opportunely for any arty folk out there. Set up a pedal based screen printing company. :tu:
They do the actual screening but they dont make their own screens. Your screens look very very nice and clear. Theirs always seem to be a bit grainy and low-res.
SonicVI

Post by SonicVI »

I provided the art work with with a graphic of what I wanted the artwork to look like on the 1590P1 to scale right next to it on the same page. I don't think it could've been clearer. They even had me alter the border a bit because it was too close to the edge. I moved it in some and then told me the screen maker was able to "make it work". I guess making it work involved shriking down the whole graphic by a good 20%. Now, regardless of that, after PPP got the screen they should've been able to tell that it did not match the look that I wanted. There must have no been very good communication between them and the screen maker and to whoever actually pulls the prints. I guess they should've shown me a sample before doing the entire run, and I should've asked. I figure they should be able to re-powder coat over the printing and at least provide me with graphics free enclosures to use the labels on or to find a local printer, and not be out too much money.

Here's a photo. On the right is a box with a sticker of the file I sent them printed at 100%. The screen make obviously did not print at 100% and PPP did not notice that the print didn't look anything like the illustration I sent along with the graphic.
"If you want to write rock lyrics you must learn about where the Hobbits dwell."
SonicVI

Post by SonicVI »

I've seen photos of Devi Ever's new screen printed Soda Meiser and the paint is right up to the edge of the enclosure and is two colors and it looks great. I don't understand what the problem is with borders. I don't want to say anything bad or be a bearer of bad publicity towards PPP as I've always been happy with every order I've made with them, but clearly I have lost faith in their screen printing abilities and sincerely hope they do everything possible to rectify this. Not only does it make them look bad but it make ME look bad to the people I'm trying to deliver a professional looking product to.
"If you want to write rock lyrics you must learn about where the Hobbits dwell."
RC2

Post by RC2 »

No worries, I'm still in however long it takes to get sorted out.
SonicVI

Post by SonicVI »

Sickle wrote:Looks like your output resolution got screwed up, or someone screwed it up over there. If you export a file in Photoshop with less than 300dpi it can screw up the actual image size, like if you exported at 150dpi, etc.

Did you give them a 300dpi image file?

yes, it was 300dpi exported direct from illustrator. The file should have opened at the correct size in photoshop and PPP said they needed a photoshop compatible file so I'm assuming that's what the screen maker uses. And yes, I did test it myself in photoshop and did a test print for size before sending it.
cubba

Post by cubba »

Wow, major bummer, sorry to see you're having to go thru
so many hoops to get things right.

Hopefully each time you do this you see where the weak links are in the process
and learn how to avoid them the next time 'round.
I've gotta' say I've never worked on a project in media production (for my job)
where there wasn't someone along the way to derails things.

I'm in it for the long haul, no worries on the wait,
just get it to your level of satisfaction, that's what matters most.

What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
MaryKelly

Post by MaryKelly »

SonicVI wrote:I provided the art work with with a graphic of what I wanted the artwork to look like on the 1590P1 to scale right next to it on the same page. I don't think it could've been clearer. They even had me alter the border a bit because it was too close to the edge. I moved it in some and then told me the screen maker was able to "make it work". I guess making it work involved shriking down the whole graphic by a good 20%. Now, regardless of that, after PPP got the screen they should've been able to tell that it did not match the look that I wanted. There must have no been very good communication between them and the screen maker and to whoever actually pulls the prints. I guess they should've shown me a sample before doing the entire run, and I should've asked. I figure they should be able to re-powder coat over the printing and at least provide me with graphics free enclosures to use the labels on or to find a local printer, and not be out too much money.

Here's a photo. On the right is a box with a sticker of the file I sent them printed at 100%. The screen make obviously did not print at 100% and PPP did not notice that the print didn't look anything like the illustration I sent along with the graphic.
I dont understand how they could not see that this is fucked up.
SonicVI

Post by SonicVI »

MaryKelly wrote:
I dont understand how they could not see that this is fucked up.

The only way it could be more fucked is if it were backwards.
sigh... :choke: