Fuzz Sound MK III #001 stop NUMBER ONE!

High gain germanium bliss manifest in three dimensional reality.

Moderator: The Captain

i love sharin foo

Fuzz Sound MK III #001 stop NUMBER ONE!

Post by i love sharin foo »

Resulting from the extreme graciousness of our very own fuzz pope, this landed on my doorstep today:

I've now played through it a total of a couple hours using both my Travis Bean TB1000 Standard and my Gibson SG Classic with Duncan Antiquity pickups with a standard (ie not hot) wind. I've on;y used my trusty old '76 Orange Overdrive 120 through a '70s Orange 4x12 with greenbacks. The amp is set fairly dirty with the mast riding pretty high. Ears do ring and you can feel it through the concrete floor.

Right off, I'd like to say that I am VERY impressed with this box! Without having extensive knowledge of the Tonebender lineage, I hear the word "Tonebender" and "MKIII" etc and tend to think of a more mild, vintage sounding fuzz. That sounds pretty lame but what I am getting at is I didn't expect it to be such a MONSTER! With the gain and level maxed, it approaches Meathead saturation. Not quite there but very close... a little more refined and not as out of control. The Fuzz Sound stays very usable and controllable maxed out entirely. With a Meathead, as soon as you start to roll back the volume control on your guitar, they start to thin out pretty quickly. Not a bad thing, they just do in my experience. With the Fuzz SOund, you get a wider range with a lot more subtle shadings in there. And talk about riffage on the lower strings... this thing does sludgy lines no problem. But when you get up to the higher strings it has a really nice, rounder attack. Almost like you're taking the awesome lowend of an Ezekiel or Meathead Dark, refining it a little, and combining it with the really musical highend of a Sonic Titan. And all through the range of gain, it stays really responsive and dynamic. It can really lend itself to a lot of different playing styles. And for you dudes with serious chops and technique, this one will really let it come through when set properly. Also, a Mu-tron Octave Divider -> Fuzz SOund -> Parachute Wah is pretty much the most evil tone I have every had the pleasure of jamming with.

The tone control has a TON and I mean a TON of range. Set to full bass it is really fat. Like Donovan mentioned at one point though, to run the full bass it really helps to have an amp that is loud with enough speakers to move some air. Otherwise it sounds a little flat and not quite so defined. But this is a fuzzbox. It's meant to be played LOUD! As you begin to roll it counter clockwise, you regain some highs pretty quickly, but still retain most lows. This seems to be a great setting for a slightly dull amp. At noon, you have a nice balance of lows and highs, but it is a little bright for me. I generally run most of my dirtboxes with little to no treble... my Oranges and Matamp tend to brighten up when pushed real hard.. and they are always pushed real hard. Once you get closer to fully counter clockwise, you get a nasally, almost trumpet like tone. With the gain cranked, you get a really cool, super nasty trashy tone that I wasn't expecting. It almost seems like there could be some upper octave going on, but it might have just been the volume and overtones distorting my eardrums.

Overall, I have to say that I am VERY impressed with the MkIII Fuzz Sound :hihi: I absolutely cannot wait until January rolls around and I get my very own. And a big thank you Donovan! If we weren't both dudes I'd give you a hug. Not that there's anything wrong with that hehe. Anyway, here's a pic of the setup I used for all this:
psycho*daisies

Re: Fuzz Sound MK III #001 stop NUMBER ONE!

Post by psycho*daisies »

awesome review, man!

Can i request a photo of just the 3: Mu-tron, the Fuzz Sound & that Parachute wah...

3 Monster sized boxes!

:crackjam:
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
Braden

Post by Braden »

Good review, that set up looks fun.
I want a Travis Bean :errr:
and a Fuzz Sound! :choke:
i love sharin foo

Post by i love sharin foo »

Been jamming with this guy a lot more today. I can't believe how quiet it is. Extraneous noise and unwanted feedback is not a problem at all. It also takes dropped tunings really well. My SG is down to about B or C standard with the low E dropped another step from there. I don't use a tune too often so it's not an exact science for me :lol: but the Fuzz Sound seems to do great with all the lows. It seems like a lot of fuzz boxes just round of and can't produce fuzz on the lower notes. That is not the case here. It sounds real consistent all over the neck. The more I use this the more I am surprised at how much ground it can cover. If I were jamming with buddies or something like that, I honestly think I could get by with a Fuzz SOund as the only fuzzbox, covering from slightly fuzzy overdriven tones right up to thick sludge. You can really get a lot of saturation out of it, but it stays more focused and less "splatty" and unruly than a Meathead. Whenever I get my own MkIII, it will have a spot on my board at all times. Some dudes like to collect for the sake of collecting and there's nothing wrong with that, but I like to jam the piss out of this stuff!! But don't worry D, I am guarding her with my LIFE!
molokaio

Post by molokaio »

Thanks a lot for sharing you impressions and thoughts man.. i could almost hear it sing! :)
Thru your monster setup it must be awesome! I'm really looking for a fat bad ass fuzz on the low notes as well.
Live Slow... Die old...
molokaio

Post by molokaio »

Shhhweeet! I'll probably have one in a couple of weeks from a forumite. Now I definitely can't wait!!! :metal:
Will it work fine also with hot singlecoils (9.5k)? I fear the day for a sg or a LP is coming nearer and nearer.
Live Slow... Die old...
markom89

Post by markom89 »

Sickle wrote:
Best thing you can feed it to is a 4x12 or 2x15 cab.
This man speaks the truth.
Playing it through my friends little Kalamazoo amp just didn't do it justice :hihi:
Brought it home... played it through my late 4x12....
This thing moves air like a 500 pound southern girl moves air after swallowing down 5 chili cheese dogs!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Does the Meathead Dark do heavier lows than a Zeke?
What do you want from life
An Indian guru
to show you the inner light?
Graham

Post by Graham »

Unless it's a Guitar tuned Zeke!! -

I am in the possibly currently unique position of having 3 Zekes and a Fuzz Sound - I tend to live in small "Vintage" small combo world s dont really have any way of discussing the hairier extremes of Amp size / output anymore - and was never a bass player (unless pressed into a help out situation/sit in
What I can say is that each of my Zekes is different - the real early Blue one is a regular early model BUT sounds great with regular guitar (though theres no denying its a bass pedal - you don't really have to try hard to enjoy it with regular guitar.. The Yellow "Guitar Tuned" one is just that and really rocks - but the most normal one I have - a later prroduction Grey Hammerite that Dave tweaked ever so slightly with the addition of a splendid NOS Mullard diode - this brings it down slightly from what I'd think of as a purely Bass pedal though undoubtedly it still is a Bass pedal it has a lovely vintage sound / feel to it and enjoys normal Guitar.. a lot more than I had expected! Sure s Donoovan says aywhere past halfway onthe dials and its no good for guitar - unless you were perverse or weird enough to put some fairy dust back with a treble booster (that takes you into weird territory Gooseing an inherently bass pedal with a Rangemaster - go the whole hog and run a neck humbucker on a Paul with the bass rolled back - circles inside circles - makes strange things happen in those power tubes - weird eddy currents in the beams of electrons flying around inside that hot glass!! - there are strange near hallucinatory territories at the fringes of distorting the arse out of a nice old tube amp by such foul and twisted means - (and a zeke carries a fuller palette of colours than most pedals!!)

My Black & Gold Fuzz Sound totally Rocks - it has huge ammounts of bottom end (as with say a real cool Meat Head like the Fleshies) but is undoubtedly still a Guitar pedal - OK I didnt run it really hard in anything more than a Sampson era Matchless Lightming (think a really punchy ac15 - REALLY PUNCHY!! & UNBELIEVABLY LOUD for a 15 watter - on a par with my old JTM45's in my opinion - and there is no doubt that as everybody else has mentioned the fuzzsound really grabs an extra chunk of breath when you crank it properly at decent volume - and starts throwing a hell of a lot of air back out of the speakers.. I find it a particularly subtle pedal at lower wattages - there are hidden layers of response that have taken me by surprise - This is not saying it isnt a bloody good indoor or studio pedal - it most certainly is!! - but that it does actually have a kind of supercharger (like a sixth gear)

I suppose its late and Im rambling but Ive had my desk full of early Sola pedals all weekend with the big black brick of a Fuzzsound sat in their midst and kept finding new tonal "corners" I hadn't suspected - such a nice pedal - I do believe I could say that it has even more nuances than the B(F)uzzaround AND I AM A HUGE FAN OF THAT BEAUTY

I think what David has managed to do here is something extraordinary - most of you won't have had a chance to hear a Park Fuzz let alone the 2 knobber Mk3 versions - those are really special pedals - amongst their repetoire they can do that 3D thing so appreciated by us damsters in the FuzzRongs and Silicon 66's - well Dave has managed to keep that within the fuzzsound - I was particularly impressed by that - OK I know that the wait lists seem (for now) to be impossibly long - DON'T DESPAIR -- I have got hundreds of fuzzes and even though I rarely bother with modern pedals - I don't reallyexpect to hear new stuff anymore - when I do - I rather think something noteworthy has happened

Anyway - I'm definitely rambling now BUT keep the faith with these new pedals and HUGE seeming waits - the thing to ask is whats coming next??? I'm sure that something even more outstanding will be hatching away in our Captains solder addled fertile gray matter!!! Personally I can hardly wait! :shocked:

Graham the garrulous
:mrgreen:
Philip

Post by Philip »

Ouch, that multi-coloured post hurts my eyes! :shocked: