Fuzz Sound volume?

High gain germanium bliss manifest in three dimensional reality.

Moderator: The Captain

Sk10

Fuzz Sound volume?

Post by Sk10 »

Yesterday i used my fuzz sound for the first time during a rehearsal.
I love the sound, character and versatility of this huge box, but I have one small problem:
The amount of volume on tap isn't that huge as described in the reviews and the captain's description. I only seem to reach unity gain at 3 o'clock. I don't think it's supposed to be like this. :hmm:

When compared to my Meathead standard, the fuzz sound at full tilt is only as loud as the MH at 12 or 1 o'clock...

My testing gear:
Jazzmaster with SD quarterpounder PU's
Fender Strat with fairly low output PU's
through a London city DEA70 (an old plexi clone with a huge amount of headroom...)

What is wrong?
imlikeajungle

Re: Fuzz Sound volume?

Post by imlikeajungle »

Mine reaches unity gain at 9 o'clock...
kb892

Post by kb892 »

imlikeajungle wrote:Mine reaches unity gain at 9 o'clock...
that's how i remember the one sickle let me borrow.
controller700

Post by controller700 »

Like the :captain: said:
"Mojo of the MKIII, the base tone and clarity of a MKIV and a Buzzaround and the go fuck yourself volume of a Big Muff."

:hihi:

So when it is even louder then we speak of a "I fucked a Big Muff" amount of volume. Right?
I don't know what the hell it does, but it's definitely doing it!!
Sk10

Post by Sk10 »

Sickle wrote:I guess the Captain will need to weigh in on this.
I just send him a pm...

This evening I had another rehearsal with the Fuzz Sound and I still didn't have that "go fuck yourself" amount of volume. :|

I hope the Captain can help me...
Sk10

Post by Sk10 »

How does my box sound? Great, apart from the lack of volume... :smashed:
although I never played an mk3 or derivate before, so I can't make a real comparison...
but the Treble 'n' Bass is the best tone control evah :cthulhu:
and I love the distortion characteristics when playing low downtuned riffs....'
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Okay, so....
Do you get the same results on both of those geetars?
Have you tried the pedal with another amp?...if so, does it behave the same?
Is the pedal offering up any amount of boost above unity?

The Meathead is a totally different animal. It will be louder than the MKIII though the MKIII is a loud pedal for its circuit type. The Meathead is a high gain silicon fuzz tuned for one purpose only. Where as the MKIII is a germanium fuzz box tuned for flexibility. The D*A*M MKIII has at least twice the volume of a stock un-modified MKIII or MKIV. A vintage stock MKIII/MKIV will struggle to reach unity with most medium to high output pick-ups.

The volume boosting capabilities of fuzz pedals can vary quite a lot depending on geetar and amp type. For example I can achieve unity with a vintage voiced Stratocaster at approx 11-12 o'clock. If I use my 70's SG loaded with the P90, which is a hella loud guitar, I reach unity at 3 o'clock. With that guitar I usually run the MKIII flat out. :party:
Sk10

Post by Sk10 »

The Captain wrote:Okay, so....
Do you get the same results on both of those geetars?
Have you tried the pedal with another amp?...if so, does it behave the same?
Is the pedal offering up any amount of boost above unity?
Idd, aprox the same results on both guitars.
I haven't tried it with a lopt of different amps, only my DIY 18watter (not much headroom) and some virtual amps on my PC. :scared:
I'll try to test it with a few other amps the next few days...
The pedal is idd offering a little amount of boost, but not as much as I expected/hoped for...

Would it be useful to make a stright recording guitar > Fuzz Sound > PC (without fx or vst amps) and post it here?
The Captain wrote: The Meathead is a totally different animal. It will be louder than the MKIII though the MKIII is a loud pedal for its circuit type. The Meathead is a high gain silicon fuzz tuned for one purpose only. Where as the MKIII is a germanium fuzz box tuned for flexibility. The D*A*M MKIII has at least twice the volume of a stock un-modified MKIII or MKIV. A vintage stock MKIII/MKIV will struggle to reach unity with most medium to high output pick-ups.
Yeah I know, but I did the comparison because the allmighty meathead is a widespread pedal on this board...
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Sk10 wrote: ...only my DIY 18watter (not much headroom) and some virtual amps on my PC. :scared:
Is the 18watter the only amp you have used it with?
Sk10 wrote:Would it be useful to make a stright recording guitar > Fuzz Sound > PC (without fx or vst amps) and post it here?
Yeah its worth a shot....it if ain't too much messing around for you.
Sk10

Post by Sk10 »

The Captain wrote:
Sk10 wrote: ...only my DIY 18watter (not much headroom) and some virtual amps on my PC. :scared:
Is the 18watter the only amp you have used it with?

nope, my main amp is the aforementioned London City (Plexi Clone): it has a huge amount of headroom, so that shouldn't be the problem. I tried it in the LO & HI input.
The Captain wrote:
Sk10 wrote:Would it be useful to make a stright recording guitar > Fuzz Sound > PC (without fx or vst amps) and post it here?
Yeah its worth a shot....it if ain't too much messing around for you.
I'll do that the tonight when I'm home...