tonebender mki output

Tone Bender MKI replica circa 2007.

Moderator: The Captain

fuzzbucket

tonebender mki output

Post by fuzzbucket »

hi folks, first post in the forum. just bought a ronno bender (in lieu of a 1965, as they are about as rare as an original tonebender mki). the output is obscene, even with the level control nearly off it's above unity gain. is this normal for an mki clone?
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

Yes they are loud.
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
daCod

Post by daCod »

i know the mki is supposed to be a pretty voluminous circuit, or so i've been told.
from the vid's ive seen of the Ronno i've come to imagine it would be just as you describe it.
i have a Ghost Effects DOOM Bender and Ghost Bender (MKI's) and they both are stupidly loud
even with the attack at min... not that that's a bad thing.
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
King Cactus Crusher

Post by King Cactus Crusher »

My Jerms MKI's volume stays at about 9 o'clock--a bit louder than unity.

It's nice to have far more volume available than needed for a change.
dazed and confused

Re: tonebender mki output

Post by dazed and confused »

fuzzbucket wrote:hi folks, first post in the forum. just bought a ronno bender (in lieu of a 1965, as they are about as rare as an original tonebender mki). the output is obscene, even with the level control nearly off it's above unity gain. is this normal for an mki clone?
Nope
dazed and confused

Post by dazed and confused »

Welcome to the forum, by the way :badteeth:
fuzzbucket

Post by fuzzbucket »

thanks for the quick replies! i like having the extra volume on tap, just wish it was a bit more controlable (volume wise) on the lower end of the dial. the minute the fuzz becomes audible, it's already quite a bit louder than my clean sound. i'm sure this will come in great handy when playing live.....

that being said, i'm loving the ronno's tone! lot's of interplay with guitar volume. great character, one of the brashest fuzzes i've met, a little like a buzzaround (another pedal with tough to control volume). awsome gating that brings a stabbing feel to the notes, then flick the volume on the guitar and it sings.

the builder offered to swap out a resistor to make it more volume friendly, but i don't want to risk changing the tone, which i'm digging.....
King Cactus Crusher

Post by King Cactus Crusher »

Yes, welcome to the forum.

There was a video put up recently with a bunch of MKIs and the Ronno sounded great! MKI is an awesome circuit.
fuzzbucket

Post by fuzzbucket »

quick follow-up: after playing with the ronno this weekend through several different amps, it turns out that unity gain is available, with the level around 8:00. as i said before, the fuzz is great, powerful, in your face, many shades of sputtering and soaring available. A keeper!

thanks again for the input.