How useful is the attack knob and what does it do?

Tone Bender MKI replica circa 2007.

Moderator: The Captain

fuzz.head69

How useful is the attack knob and what does it do?

Post by fuzz.head69 »

Strange question i know, but what does the attack knob on a 1965 do? Add fuzz, add treble, or not a lot?

I'm currently hunting one of these white whales but can't find any clips for the 1965. Any help would be appreciated
kb892

Re: How useful is the attack knob and what does it do?

Post by kb892 »

yeah, it's a fuzz knob. i think it actually sets the bias of one of the transistors so on the low end not much comes out and it fairly quickly gets to very fuzzy. small adjustments do a lot as it comes up from it's lowest setting though so it can be easy to think it doesn't do much but depending on your setup and volume there's lots of good tones in the range of adjustment. here's a link to some old clips from forum member Philip.

http://www.myspace.com/damsoundclips
kb892

Post by kb892 »

and not sizzle in a good way, sounds quite literally like an egg hitting a frying pan!
jimi_dylan

Post by jimi_dylan »

My Copper 1965, with the knob turned
left) produces a gated fuzz with a zipper-like tone the most robust (opposite of thin/splatty) I've heard
right) hell of a lot of gain and no sizzle at all.

It really depends on the particular unit.
fuzz.head69

Post by fuzz.head69 »

Thanks for the really thorough answers. I can imagine its a bit of a shock if you get a unit where the attack knob is subtle. Now wheres my harpoon i need to catch me that whale.
Scott

Post by Scott »

my JMI tone bender mk1, so far, sounds like when you the attack is hits a certain point, the fuzz pretty much sounds the same even when it's turned up all the way. Now i havent really tested it out fully with my amp turned up and i havent really messed with the LEVEL of this mk1. That might affect the fuzz tone a bit. Not 100 percent sure yet. But i really like the fuzz on this pedal and it does have a really nice varying of fuzz tones on the attack from about 7-8 oclock on the dial.
Poorbob

Post by Poorbob »

I'm really disappointed with the board on this thread. No one answered the man's question. The attack knob on the MKI turns the little shaft on the pot. Now what that hell that does, I have no clue. :hihi: