How I use fuzz (a tutorial) with video... (D*A*M Sola MKII)

D*A*M Audio/Video Clips

Moderator: The Captain

imguitardan

How I use fuzz (a tutorial) with video... (D*A*M Sola MKII)

Post by imguitardan »

There are three ways to look at/use fuzz:

1) STOMP and go!!!

For the uninitiated, (especially those who are used to OD/dirt pedals) this is how we want Fuzz to work. In this capacity, most do drop out of the mix. Exceptions include MKI Tone Benders, Big Muffs that have mid boost capacity and most Basic Audio pedals I've played (which just have a TON of output volume). If this is how you use fuzz, you'll quickly become frustrated (unless you use a MKI).

2) Dirty amp, fuzz on, gtr volume rolled down

THIS is how most fuzz reacts best. It took me a long time to figure it out b/c I never was a gtr volume roller (which I've adapted to after watching how Townshend gets so many tones with a dirty amp and a Superfuzz).

Here's the methodology: with gtr vol at full and no pedal, the amp tone should be as dirty as you'd want. Now, roll back the guitar volume to 6 or 8 or wherever you're getting a decent cleanish tone. THERE IS YOUR BASE TONE. Want dirt? Step on a Fuzz Face or MKII (since yr volume's not mazed on the gtr, they won't overly compress). Don't want fuzz? Roll up the gtr vol to 10 to get that cranked amp tone.

This is why people use fuzz!

Option 3: Fuzz on all the time
This works best with two transister fuzzes (esp a good Fuzz Face/MK I.V Tone Bender). Turn fuzz on, (all knobs at max). Use gtr vol and fuzz knob to find a clean tone (here's where Fuzz Faces are awesome). Gtr vol at 4= clean, 7=dirt, 10=fuzz

EXPERIMENT!

I used to fall into category A, now I'm more of a B/C and FINALLY understand the appeal of a Fuzz Face (or similar designs).

I've spent more than I'd admit to figure out what I have and so far, the BEST would be a MKI Tone Bender for the "Stomp and Go" players and a D*A*M M-25 Meathead Deluxe or MKII for the players who do option "B" (or possibly "C") and a GOOD Analogman NKT Sun Face (I don't know what makes a good one but I've heard ones I hated and ONE that was AMAZING- I think it was a smaller box one but can't say if that was the difference).

This is an example of option C:

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
daCod

Post by daCod »

awesome.
it's like Fuzznomics 101
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
imguitardan

Re: How I use fuzz (a tutorial) with video... (D*A*M Sola M

Post by imguitardan »

Same concept except with a fuzzface6669 9-6 NKT Fuzz Face (which I end up contrasting with the Sola MKII):

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

modeerf

Post by modeerf »

I'm jealous of your setup, seriously cool. Really noisy though, but I suppose those p-90's are to blame for that. The solasound MKII is my favorite pedal I absolutely love it, even more than my D*A*M MKII. Don't ask me why.

Anyway, for me the best fuzz tone you had in the first vid was volume maxed with the MKII on. I love the squishy compressed nature of it, but thats just me. Very cool videos though, I used to always use my fuzzes with a super clean fender amp but recently I've switched to a dirtier pushed amp as my base tone then add fuzz. I used to dislike the way the fuzz reacted into an amp with less headroom than my fenders but have come to enjoy and harness the unruly nature of it.

Thanx for posting, I'd love to hear your setup recorded with better sound quality. I'm really wanting a plexi.
Do Drugs, Worship Satan.
imguitardan

Post by imguitardan »

Yeah. Sorry about the poor quality of the clips (really I was trying to emphasis the methodology). If you listen, the P-90s aren't very noisy when I'm playing as opposed to when I'm not. Also, if I was facing the window, they'd be quieter. I'm probably standing in the noisiest spot. I'll try to change that for future vids. I'm glad you dig my rig. I dig it too. :cheers:

As for getting a better quality recording, if anyone knows a cheap and easy way to do that, I'd be all about it. (BTW: I have no recording software for my PC nor an interface). I'm open to suggestions.

waveclipper

Post by waveclipper »

I'd guess your camera mic is automatically compressing a fair bit which is boosting the hum. Nonetheless a really great demonstration and comprehensively explained :tu:
Wanna hear the mk1 now!
imguitardan

Post by imguitardan »

I'll be doing one soon (Jerms and Skinpimp).

waveclipper

Post by waveclipper »

Cool, I've been getting some bad GAS for a mk1 recently and really dig the LP P90s with the fuzz too.....
cubba

Post by cubba »

waveclipper wrote:I'd guess your camera mic is automatically compressing a fair bit which is boosting the hum. Nonetheless a really great demonstration and comprehensively explained :tu:
Wanna hear the mk1 now!
My first thought too.
If you can turn off the limiter (i.e., take the Auto level off) and adjust the input level to a lower, non-peaking level,
you'll wind up with less background noise and a truer to the room sound.

Besides all that .... good job!
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
imguitardan

Post by imguitardan »

Can I do that in "post production"? My camera is literally a point and shoot digital camera (not a camcorder). Or do you think there's an audio option on the camera?