Update!!Klon KTR vs Gold Klon Centaur vs Silver Klon Centaur

Everyone else.

Moderator: The Captain

modeerf

Re: Klon KTR vs Gold Klon Centaur v Silver Klon Centaur

Post by modeerf »

IMO The KTR sounds/feels thinner than the Original Klons. Mine does anyway...Not as organic, seems to be lacking the Low mids that gave the gold/silver versions the amplike qualities. The KTR is a tad more spikey' if that makes sense. Like an old speaker compared to a fresh new one, it doesn't have that nice "round-ness" that makes it feel organic and earthy.
Do Drugs, Worship Satan.
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

joegagan wrote:ditto on the durability factor.
anyone who has serviced road worn or barroom worn gear knows where the weak links are. the KTR has 'em, the silver and gold versions did not.
chankgeez wrote:I understand your concerns, guys, but by the same token, if something goes wrong with a Centaur, it needs the entire board replaced.

Bingo, thats the weak link in the original. 90% of these parts will last forever and never need changing but the charge pumps used in these can be touchy, no matter how well protected. Best to have them be socketed chips. Also, ideally, when Finnegan is dead and gone in 50 years one would probably like the ability to change the aging electrolytics in their vintage klons. Imagine if every MkI was gooped and needed to be completely torn apart in order to restore it to working order?
joegagan

Post by joegagan »

good points.

i sorta forgot about the electrolytics. i also have a report from a customer about a scratchy pot in a gold centaur, bill told him to get used to the noise.

the dual gang pot in there is a CTS part and hard to find if not near impossible.
"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

hahaha that ridiculous. I was gonna say board mounted pots were my other pet peeve on the original, but thats not a major one. Well....its slightly more major if you cant replace those pots with the original type and the new pot doesnt support your board.
emanux

Post by emanux »

Now with loopers to avoid buffers effect in chain:

Green+blue led=pedal on the right active
Red+Red led=pedal on the left active
Green+Red led=directly clean amp