How do ye user yer Henry?

I am Jack's smirking revenge...

Moderator: The Captain

anotherone

How do ye user yer Henry?

Post by anotherone »

Yeah,topic says it all,really. I play in a fairly loud doom type outfit,and Henry (sadly,shockingly,suprisingly) isn't cutting it.
Now,I mainly play big stupid riffs,and at home he rips my fucking face off when doing just that. But when I kick him on at the rehearsal space,I just get burried. What the hell?
-Could it be the way I set the amp up?
-Could it be because said amp is a peavey windsor(I'm in the process of getting a better noisemaker)?
-Could it be because the bassplayer just got a matamp GT200?

I only use about half of the amps preamp gain and crank the master right up. The EQ cuts just fine both clean and with my other pedals(super collider and doom bender).Oh yeah,should probably add that I play a LP,tuned to C standard.Mainly the bridge pu. I suspect that I'm at fault here, not henry :rolleyes2:
Tune low,play slow
Cado

Re: How do ye user yer Henry?

Post by Cado »

I don't have a Henry, play Doom or tune down to C, but fuzzes aren't the biggest fans of amps with seperate gain and master volume controls. With non master volume amps, fuzzes don't get choked off as easily. I suggest you take Henry down to a music store and put my words to the test on a couple of amps. :cheers:
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

anotherone wrote: -Could it be because the bassplayer just got a matamp GT200?
Yes. :hihi:

What p-ups and guitar you using?

Henry is pretty much a vintage voiced pedal. Low to mid gain pick-ups and the less gain you have on the amp the better. More headroom more boost from the Henry.

You ain't at fault, man. Some gear just don't work for certain things or certain folk. Henry might not be gelling with what you play or how you play, but, that said if you really dig the tone from a piece of gear enough to work around it do so.
I did it myself way back when. Never forget how shit that first Vox Tone Bender I scored sounded through a solid state amp with my high gain Dimarzio pick-ups. I worked around the pedal cos I knew I wanted that tone more than anything else. Kent Armstrong P-90's and and a crusty Laney amp later and shitty old Vox sounded like an orgasm full of razor blades. Obsession had its pay off.

Henry is weird lil bastard. Not actually sure where it fits, music genre wise that is. At times I think it's better suited for a 60's garage kinda thing but then at other times its like a chainsaw chewing through wet bricks. I know it indulges my creativity but in which direction I'm not sure.

Either way, I think I managed to design a fuzz that was great for cartoon theme tunes :smashed:

edkoppel

Post by edkoppel »

whoa that cartoon theme sounds amazing!
haha
Oh, DB? That's just slang for Dandy Big muff collector.
-----------------------
Tone Machines, Vintage Effects Blog: www.tonemachinesblog.com

Instagram: https://instagram.com/ed_skymall
jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

Awesome :lol:
anotherone

Post by anotherone »

The Captain wrote:
anotherone wrote: -Could it be because the bassplayer just got a matamp GT200?
Yes. :hihi:

Heh,getting mr.bassman to turn the fuckin thing down to where the guitar and vokills are audible and the drummer doesn't have a heartattack was a battle in itself :lol: He rocks a pretty overdriven Geezer-ish tone so that might be part of the issue right there.
The Captain wrote: What p-ups and guitar you using?

Henry is pretty much a vintage voiced pedal. Low to mid gain pick-ups and the less gain you have on the amp the better. More headroom more boost from the Henry.
I play a les paul studio with burstbucker pros. They're medium-ish output I guess. I turn the volume on the axe down a little because the bridge pick up made the doombender do these gatey,weird things at full bore.

I actually haven't tried henry with a p-90 equipped axe....maybe I should...I have one lying around here somwhere.

Thanks for your help guys. I'm facing the fact that henry is a fantastic fuzz,but might not be meant for this particular band,I will try a few workarounds though:
-Less amp gain
-Minimal EQ'ing,I'll try to let henry shine through in all his raspy glory.
-Lower my pick-ups a tad

If nothing works....well then,henry will just stay at home and service my noisier urges. Henry might get his own side project in time,cause I ain't getting rid of him
Tune low,play slow
DucRyder

Post by DucRyder »

I'll second the notion that a Non-master volume amp will work better with fuzz. Try opening up the master full and starting from zero bring up the gain till your low end begins to blur, then back off a bit. This won't be exactly like a non master but should be fairly close. Of course EQing the amp will help some as well.
"...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…" H.S.T.
anotherone

Post by anotherone »

Yeah....I see a NMV in my future....but sadly a man has to eat and pay rent too....
Tune low,play slow
Andy J.

Post by Andy J. »

I can't wait to get to my band's new rehearsal space and crank Henry up through my recently acquired circa-'65 AC50... I've only played it at home through a Champion 600 so far.
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I haven't tried the Henry yet but I have been itching to play it.

I have been running my Blind Mary and Hatchet in tandem. I use them with a very small amp and mic it up back stage, it sounds huge though the PA.

My last gig was a musical we played all last week and for that I used a D*A*M MK II, a Cornish P-1 and ST-2, and the Laney Klipp that Fausto built. I played mainly through a 100 watt Super Bass and for the reallt saturated parts through a Stephenson Stage Hog running into a 1x12 cab mic up.

I find they work well with low output pickups.
Hope that helps!
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty