D*A*M/Sola Sound BUM Fuzz Unit 'Cheap Arse'

Collaborations with originators.

Moderator: The Captain

The Captain

D*A*M/Sola Sound BUM Fuzz Unit 'Cheap Arse'

Post by The Captain »

In the words of David Dickinson '"Cheap as chips". Cool new project 8.2.

You : Can I has D*A*M built Sola Sound Tone Bender for less than 150 quid??

Us: Why certainly! Step this way, sir.

CA_YLW_10.JPG
CA_YLW_10.JPG (222.96 KiB) Viewed 5642 times
Bit of different one for us. It's usually all high-end reproduction lets make this thing as vintagey awesome as we can. Which is cool, but that approach will lead to an expensive end product. So this time we thought lets make a super killer, but cost effective, fuzz box for the price of a daft night on the town. And that we did. Introducing the Cheap Arse Bum Fuzz Unit.

CA_YLW_01.JPG
CA_YLW_01.JPG (244.22 KiB) Viewed 5642 times
CA_YLW_11.JPG
CA_YLW_11.JPG (212.15 KiB) Viewed 5642 times
Cheap?...or modern?

Cheaper, yes. Bad, no. Basically, you could say we used more modern hardware. Alpha footswitch rather than the Carling. Piher pots rather than Omeg. Neutrik Jacks rather than Cliff, and so forth. None of these are bad, they are modern equivalents thereof but don't really have the vintage vibe and style we aim for. All good quality parts all do the job as indented.
Component wise, the main $$$ saver is the use of ceramic capacitors. Frowned upon by audio purists but this is a goddamn fuzz box, it distorts, it's supposed to sound dirty. Purity of tone is not exactly the intended goal. Think of it like this. The early Triangle Big Muffs, and pretty much all of the Sovtek era produced Big Muffs, all used ceramic capacitors and these are amongst the most highly prized and sort after types. Transistor wise - BC549C. Modern day high gain low noise devices. Pretty much perfect for job. The noise floor on these pedals is surprisingly low.

Tonally it is tuned a little different to the 'Collins' and the 'Blue Moon/ZTX' models. A slight increase in the lows with and subtle scoop on the mids and a more even spread of volume boost and gain from the controls. As with all with this circuit type it works very well with overdriven valve amps, is seriously bad ass for bass instruments and actually does a pretty cool 60's vibe into clean tone amps at lower gain settings.

CA_YLW_03.JPG
CA_YLW_03.JPG (322.06 KiB) Viewed 5642 times
CA_YLW_13.JPG
CA_YLW_13.JPG (231.27 KiB) Viewed 5642 times
CA_YLW_05.JPG
CA_YLW_05.JPG (332.36 KiB) Viewed 5642 times
CA_YLW_12.JPG
CA_YLW_12.JPG (239.08 KiB) Viewed 5642 times
Same deal as always. You wants, talk to Macari's. If should also be noted that each colour scheme (there be four types) are limited in number, so you're getting cool beans custom coloured pedal for your coin and at no extra cost. Special snowflake feels without breaking the bank. How cool is that? Very.

:party:

http://www.macaris.co.uk/
Pahathuasyndicate

Re: D*A*M/Sola Sound BUM Fuzz Unit 'Cheap Arse'

Post by Pahathuasyndicate »

Righteous :cheers:
nad

Post by nad »

Merry Fookin' Xmas to me, that price makes it a zero brainer. :smashed:
"'Tis a world of creditors, of which the tomb and the worm are the last. There is little left for the devil, when these have taken their due account."
--The Skeleton
squarewave

Post by squarewave »

Looking the goods gents
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

Awesome. Got one on the way.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
nad

Post by nad »

Fuck yeah, this shit is amazing! The low end is so massive it makes my clean tone sound wimpy by comparison. Plenty of volume on tap, lots of gain and a particular clarity even on darker settings. Or maybe I should say "nose" but that could be the 11% beer talking. :smashed: I'll get it into a mix shortly, been rockin' the bedroom player thing for a few months but my break is about to end. Here's to the next 5 years of shitty bar gigs with huge fuzz pedals.

I've gone through a few Tone Benders on bass and haven't quite been satisfied, but this is easily The One for me. Huzzah! :party:
Attachments
ButtFuzz.jpg
ButtFuzz.jpg (182.38 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
"'Tis a world of creditors, of which the tomb and the worm are the last. There is little left for the devil, when these have taken their due account."
--The Skeleton
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

w00t! Number 100, already!! Good idea was good. Props to Danny for unlocking solder wizard skills. :party:

hundred.JPG
hundred.JPG (265.91 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

nad wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:39 amThe low end is so massive it makes my clean tone sound wimpy by comparison.
:tu:

Glad to hear it's ticking boxes for ya, man!
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Lady in RED!!! Looks ace Captain!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
get_with_it
Sola Sound London

Post by get_with_it »

never mind that - gonna get myself some bun huggers !!!