D*A*M Sola Sound Interceptor

Collaborations with originators.

Moderator: The Captain

hamoftruth

Re: D*A*M Sola Sound Interceptor

Post by hamoftruth »

Mine came today, only had a few minutes to play it so these are just first impressions. Compared to my other Sola MKIVs (Catman, Fuzz Sound) it's definitely its own thing. A MKIV mostly in name only, which makes sense given the extensive circuit tweaks. I was getting some RAT vibes, feels more fuzztortion than straight up fuzz. Very prominent midrange. More firm and controlled. Better cleanup than my other MKIVs but nothing like a FF or other 2-transistor design. Can get much warmer and smoother than the others because of the Supa tone control. Drop dead gorgeous presentation, beauty in minimalism.
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

hamoftruth wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:38 am Mine came today, only had a few minutes to play it so these are just first impressions. Compared to my other Sola MKIVs (Catman, Fuzz Sound) it's definitely its own thing. A MKIV mostly in name only, which makes sense given the extensive circuit tweaks. I was getting some RAT vibes, feels more fuzztortion than straight up fuzz. Very prominent midrange. More firm and controlled. Better cleanup than my other MKIVs but nothing like a FF or other 2-transistor design. Can get much warmer and smoother than the others because of the Supa tone control. Drop dead gorgeous presentation, beauty in minimalism.
Did you have issues trying to remove the bottom plate. Mine is on so tight.
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

I use a small screwdriver and wedge it into the screw holes. You get the hang of it after a while :badteeth:
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

Hey thanks. I am in. Man, she sounds awesome. Loving this little beast.
kluskie

Post by kluskie »

I use a 6” steel rule with sellotape around the flat end to avoid scratching the case, insert at the battery end and lever up
freddy_von

Post by freddy_von »

Undo the screws then pry the shit out of that thing from the bottom end. The more you bend the steel of the enclosure, the easier it’ll be next time and the less you’ll worry about messing up the finish in the future. :teeth2:
Jon

Post by Jon »

bluemoon wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:08 am
Phototropicalia wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:16 am Received mine yesterday. Superb pedal, although that'll probably be obvious! It's a lot smoother than any Tone Bender I've played and definitely a lot louder than any traditional circuit too. Beautiful addition and variation to the Sola family. I would say though, it's tricky to get to the battery with two layers of paint on, haha.
I am with you on getting to battery. What is the trick to getting the bottom plate separated from the top?
You are supposed to be able to pinch the sides and give it a little shake to pop it out.

When that fails I take a bent paper clip and pop it between the two halves of the enclosure, work the tip of the paper clip into the screw hole on the bottom half, and pull it down.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

I love how nerdy this forum gets :lol:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
kluskie

Post by kluskie »

innerflight wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:19 pm I love how nerdy this forum gets :lol:
🤣🤣🤘🤘
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

It's awesome. I love how people have very different ways to pry open the bottom plate. This is my first MKIV. So new to opening up these guys. Always had MKIIs in the past.

Have to say, I am really impressed with the sound of these. Great note definition and clarity. And just a great sound fuzz. Not too dark. Not too bright. Lots of great tones hidden in this thing. Really sounds good.