The Setup of the Day Thread

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

phidias

Re: The Setup of the Day Thread

Post by phidias »

Some MKI goodness straight from the south of Spain. Right: raw, mean and dirty. Left: polite and elegant. You can cover almost all MKI territory with these two! :freakout:
I Love Rock'n'Roll - Compression Kills The Music - Never Put Off Until Tomorrow What You Can Buy Today!
daCod

Post by daCod »

I’ve been eyeing his wedge builds for a while now. That one looks superbly 👌🏼😍 :drool2:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
phidias

Post by phidias »

Gut shots to make you drooling even more... :hihi:
I Love Rock'n'Roll - Compression Kills The Music - Never Put Off Until Tomorrow What You Can Buy Today!
daCod

Post by daCod »

if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

Lazing on a sunny afternoon
In the Summertime
Attachments
Setup of the Day.jpg
Setup of the Day.jpg (766.05 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
sovtekfuzz

Post by sovtekfuzz »

IG: SOVTEKFUZZ
Good deals with: Lpf4, Spook, Fishleehooker, sideasoundlab, freddy_von, hamoftruth, thinlazy, devnulljp
ombudsman

Post by ombudsman »

Practice night. This little OSO 715 head built by Stephen Walsh is pretty great. That's a Drag N Fly and a 212 with Vox silvers in use.
20220817_214634.jpg
20220817_214634.jpg (524.46 KiB) Viewed 925 times
TeleSoul

Post by TeleSoul »

Sweet! I’ve been chatting to Steve about getting one of those 715s. How are you finding it and especially the master volume?
ombudsman

Post by ombudsman »

TeleSoul wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:49 am Sweet! I’ve been chatting to Steve about getting one of those 715s. How are you finding it and especially the master volume?
I'm very happy with it, and I'm not easy to please when it comes to amps, especially modern amps, and especially where there is a master volume. Normally I leave a master all the way up and use the input volume as the only volume control, but on this I have the input about halfway (I think ?) and I use the master as if it was the only volume.

It's a loud amp through those speakers. The EQ works well and it can produce a lot of low end if you want. It generally sounds like a little big amp, if you know what I mean, and sounds like it could have been a later design than what it really was. It has an EZ81 but I would not say it is especially squishy. I put in primo NOS tubes throughout except the JJ/Tesla rectifier it came with, maybe I should experiment there too as I would not mind some more compression when I dig in.

It seems to respond like an all tube amp to pedals and higher than vintage input levels, I haven't run out of headroom or needed to do anything differently with this amp compared to others, but I don't push it to extremes. The on board diode clipping distortion sounds nice, and it is more useful than the original since it has a pot on the control panel (I do have a 730 and 710 to compare to). But for a basic Voxy mild crunch you don't need it.

When I compare side by side to my favorite 2 x 12 AC15 just out of that shot on the left (also with Celestion alnicos) the 715 sounds a bit less vintage and sweet. If I didn't directly listen one after the other, I might not know that. But it's also much less expensive and you don't have to be so careful with it. I would also say that it completely slaughters the various reissue AC15s with reverb and top boost.
TeleSoul

Post by TeleSoul »

Wow! An original 730, 710 and AC-15. Damn I’m veritably glowing green over here.

Sounds like I might have to go for it. Shipping it over is not fun and sourcing a cab is real hard too but it sounds worth it.

We have a glorious sounding ‘64 AC-30 Top Boost in the shop I manage but it’s naturally louder than I’ll have use for.