WEM Project V pedal

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

DiscoFreq

Re: WEM Project V pedal

Post by DiscoFreq »

Lol, ok, then I should add it (but without the watermark :-/)
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
26000 pedals, 4000 brands
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

theemadcap1 wrote:It runs on both 9 and 18 volts...
Stu wrote:Are you sure it's 18V? The battery snaps appear to be wired in parallel.
If it works with either one or two batteries, it's definitely parallel.
Condolences, the bums lost!
theemadcap1

Post by theemadcap1 »

My friend Sean guessed right I think, he said he thought it had two batteries to make the batteries last longer. Not an easy pedal to bust open with 8 screws. Kind of hard to fit two batteries, though, and the holders were placed to close to the side on mine to fit two batteries, not sure how they are supposed to fit? Maybe PP4s would fit easier, but I would doubt it.
Just jammed with it for an hour or so, and the magic is in those two trimmer switches on the circuit. One seems to affect the Attack of the note, and the other seems to affect the decay, it can go from infinite, almost increasing sustain, to totally gated out. Very, very interesting... :freak: Sound's best with both slider switches either both on or both off. :tu:
Need to confer with Graham about his...

Demo soon... :cheers:
capricorn_1

Post by capricorn_1 »

hey john, one trimmer biases the first section of the circuit, a simple up or down, kind of similar to the attack control on a MK1 if you get me, needs to be around halfway or more, turn it right down and the sound should stop. The second trim is situated between part of the last 2 sections of the circuit and I visualise it as sweeping between the 2 sections, so again roughly halfway is good. But obviously adjust to taste! There were some ideal voltages put forward on freestompboxes which work out good, but I still adjusted to taste on my warmjet even after setting them up! :marx:
Ghost Effects, Birmingham, UK

the Sizzle Hills are Chapel Perilous - Sickle
theemadcap1

Post by theemadcap1 »

capricorn_1 wrote:hey john, one trimmer biases the first section of the circuit, a simple up or down, kind of similar to the attack control on a MK1 if you get me, needs to be around halfway or more, turn it right down and the sound should stop. The second trim is situated between part of the last 2 sections of the circuit and I visualise it as sweeping between the 2 sections, so again roughly halfway is good. But obviously adjust to taste! There were some ideal voltages put forward on freestompboxes which work out good, but I still adjusted to taste on my warmjet even after setting them up! :marx:
Cool!
Which one is which?
The one I call the note's "Attack" trimmer is closer to the input/output jacks, and when you turn it to one side it starts a "ticking" noise, almost like a Tremelo or repeater...toward the other end, it makes the note very sharp, almost octave-like. The other one, I call the note "Decay" trimmer is closer to the footswitch, and I call it that because at one end it makes it so the note is totally gated (but not off), and at the other end is infinite sustain. In between, you get some crazy artifacts on the note. I assumed it was a sort of biasing. One thing, I had it in the light and I noticed some parts (capacitors) that were different value's than on the schematics I have seen, not sure they would make a difference or not? I did see the RS Inductor on there.
I turned and tuned them where they sound best, but there are a lot of good sounds...! Wish the trimmers were on the outside, like your clone...! Speaking of which, I looked at a video of your clone, and the "Edge" knob on your's sound's like it controls the "edge" and "drive" switch? With the "edge" knob turned down (fully counterclockwise) it sort of sound's like the Wem sound's with just the "Edge" engaged (with the "Attack" knob down a bit) and it sort of sound's like when just the "Drive" switch is engaged, the Warmjet "edge" knob all the way clockwise (more bassy)...? Be cool to have a Warmjet at hand to compare...! :freak:
Thanks! :cheers:
capricorn_1

Post by capricorn_1 »

the 'decay' trim you describe sounds like the bias in the 1st section of the circuit.
on the warmjet the edge control mixes between the output of the circuit before it hits the parts on the tagstrip in the project v and a basic version of what happens when the edge switch is on, I dropped the raw output a touch in level so it balanced with the filtered output, but overall the circuit has plenty of volume. So you mix between the 2 tones using the control. :tu:
Ghost Effects, Birmingham, UK

the Sizzle Hills are Chapel Perilous - Sickle
anemochore
Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Post by anemochore »

capricorn_1 wrote:but overall the circuit has plenty of volume.
He's not kidding :tu:
Don't make me assume my ultimate form
anemochore
Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Post by anemochore »

capricorn_1 wrote:So you mix between the 2 tones using the control. :tu:
Very nice :tu:
Don't make me assume my ultimate form
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

:popcorn:
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
API

Post by API »

As the previous owner of Grahams pedal i can say that it was not gated at all, but very smooth or edgy depending on the setting.
One of the best fuzzes i have heard.

One thing that came to mind when reading the thread i think there was something strange/wrong with the battery connections when i got the pedal and i believe it was me that fitted the normal 9v clip.
Can not remember what it looked like when i got it though.
Bought it off Ebay for a song in about 10-12 years ago!