Your #1 guitar: post a pic!

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

joegagan

Re: Your #1 guitar: post a pic!

Post by joegagan »

hi jim, i always have liked juicy strat neck pickups for tele. this one a fender CS 50s strat type. the extra knob is 500k pot for total control of trebele bleed cap on volume. a wonderful control.

"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

That's a brilliant mod! Must be loads of tonal options there.
It's like an orange on a toothpick
joegagan

Post by joegagan »

truly! ( thanks) it is the closest thing to a passive EQ i can think of. a treble bleed cap is a ' must have' for fuzz cleanup from the guitar. but it can also be too much at other times, so having it 100% controllable is a godsend. i used it in the studio like a mother also.
"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder
theemadcap1

Post by theemadcap1 »

This has been my #1 guitar since 1987 when I got it from the first owner, who sanded off the Goldtop finish as he thought that would make the tone better. :smashed: I honestly did not know what I had (except for a beautiful playing guitar!!) until the late 90's when a collector saw it and thought it was a sanded down 50's Les Paul, as it is a 1 piece neck, 1 piece body and 2 piece, center seam maple top. He took it all apart, where we discovered the poor routing covered by the pickups, it there is still Goldtop paint under both pickups. It is very light for a LP, weighing in at just under 8lbs. Probably lost some weight when sanded, as he took a bit off to get the binding on the body off. The truss rod cover, fretboard, binding on neck are original, the rest was added or taken away along the way. Since these pics I have put the early Pat# pickups (pre T-top, one might be a PAF as there is no sticker) back in there and this guitar play's and sound's amazing! From the serial number on the back of the head stock, this guitar was shipped from Gibson on August 15, 1968, one of the first reissue's from '68... :party:

redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Waoh....nice road dawg! Funky ass bridge there too.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

theemadcap1 wrote:This has been my #1 guitar since 1987 when I got it from the first owner, who sanded off the Goldtop finish as he thought that would make the tone better. :smashed:]
That is awesome! Shame about the gold though -- I love a goldtop, but 2nd fave is plain like that. Got lots of character. Bet it sounds amazing.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
Yggdrazil

Post by Yggdrazil »

Since I bought it from Dev (and legalized it toward my tender half :hihi: ) this is my main axe.
Instagram:@Stonefly_effects

The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world.>David Fair
theemadcap1

Post by theemadcap1 »

It is one of those guitars that sort of "play's itself", just unbelievable action. "Buttah" :party:
It has a brass nut and that funky solid brass bridge, which I discovered was weird early 70's mod that was kind of expensive (at the time). The TP-6 was added about 15 year's ago, a present from a drummer friend and makes for easy and precise tuning.

Here is a video of it thru an MKI, brown Deluxe into 2x12" cab. Shoulda brought the Bandmaster, but wh knew it'd be so packed....?
:cheers:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=17 ... _video_set
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

Yggdrazil wrote:Since I bought it from Dev (and legalized it toward my tender half :hihi: ) this is my main axe.
Awww yissss! Glad you like it. I did too, but it's so pretty I was scared to touch it in case I totally ratfucked it. Love that colour.
This is my Strat -- a MIA SRV with the finish mostly removed. It's more of a Rory Gallagher now with Bare Knuckles Irish Tours. And I can't ding it up :tu:

Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
controller700

Post by controller700 »

My No.1 since 2007.
Put it together from an American Vintage Alder body, Custom Shop neck. Has Seymour´s vintage pickups with flat poles, Callaham bridge, Raw Vintage saddles & a Luxe "1964" tone cap.
I don't know what the hell it does, but it's definitely doing it!!