Show Your Fuzz Face(s)

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

sovtekfuzz

Re: Show Your Fuzz Face(s)

Post by sovtekfuzz »

superslidetail wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:26 pm
sovtekfuzz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:15 pm ProAnalog Scary Face with some high gain Valvo OC44s, an absolute beast of a FF

I owned this at one point. I replaced the pad and smiley logo there. Possibly the knobs too!
Small world, it's a good one! Silicon tends to be my FF preference but I had to take this for a spin
IG: SOVTEKFUZZ
Good deals with: Lpf4, Spook, Fishleehooker, sideasoundlab, freddy_von, hamoftruth, thinlazy, devnulljp
sovtekfuzz

Post by sovtekfuzz »

Got a nice deal on a bc209c and I've been putting it through its paces tonight. Absolutely floored, back the fuzz off 2% to cut some of the hair and it's just perfect. Jacks/pots aren't original and I'm 99% sure the switch isn't either but it's not a huge deal to me. The seller thought it was from '71 but I have no idea if that's correct, maybe a FF guru here could share any insights!

IG: SOVTEKFUZZ
Good deals with: Lpf4, Spook, Fishleehooker, sideasoundlab, freddy_von, hamoftruth, thinlazy, devnulljp
Spook

Post by Spook »

209c's are fucking awesome !
They need more love :party:
:pazuzu:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Spook wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:47 am How are the oc78 vs nkt's ?
i mean charlie vs haskins ...kinda. Tighter, or more loose ?
Hmm… tbh I can’t remember the Haskins.

To be honest I’ve owned alot of variations over the years but never an original.

I also don’t play the common strat into a Marshall / fender setup for Jimi tones although he’s been a big influence on the mood of my playing.

I’m not a fan of the Analogman white dot cleanup particularly and I do like mine to be quite gainy.

The Haskins was good from memory but I wasn’t blown away by it.
I preferred the maggot I had at the time.

I’ve owned a few ff with NKT275’s and I’ll admit… I’m a fan.
I know some things get blown up because of “originality” and there’s prob several other varieties which could do the job just as well but I do like those.

I think it’s also finding a builder that gets the circuit but also your needs.
Charlie doesn’t do the “Hendrix fuzz face”.
He said it’s not how he works.

He gets the parts that sound best that day and hammers away on his work bench until he gets it sounding as good as he can.
No reference pedals just tweaking and a good ear.

I’d never heard of these OC78’s in a fuzz face circuit to be honest but that guy knows what works in his circuits and it’s good at low volume and an absolute monster at higher volumes.

For home I tend to prefer 1.5 circuits but at volume Charlie’s fuzz face has this huge presence.

It’s ended my search from nearly 17 - 18 years.
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

Just got this Charlie Pedals Fuzz Face for a steal off the 'Verb. AC125's and a bias knob. I'm not a big fan of the small enclosure, but because it's so small (and because it has the battery on/off switch) I will probably put it on my board. Charlie's tuning is amazing; this is a fantastic fuzz face build. Adjusting the bias knob allows a HUGE range of tones ranging from a traditional FF creamy buzz to almost like a 1.5 Tone Bender, with subtle gating at lower voltage. Not overly muddy or bass-heavy . I'd love to compare it with Doc's Green Goblin! :oldgrin:

The only down side is that I now feel compelled to save up the scratch so I can ask Charlie to build me another Fuzz Face in a traditional round enclosure!
Hats off to Charlie!
:cheers:
Attachments
CharlieFFace1.JPG
CharlieFFace1.JPG (675.08 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
CharlieFFace2.jpg
CharlieFFace2.jpg (651.39 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
CharlieFFace3.jpg
CharlieFFace3.jpg (467.86 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
JDynamite

Post by JDynamite »

Tin Shack King wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:19 am Just got this Charlie Pedals Fuzz Face for a steal off the 'Verb. AC125's and a bias knob. I'm not a big fan of the small enclosure, but because it's so small (and because it has the battery on/off switch) I will probably put it on my board. Charlie's tuning is amazing; this is a fantastic fuzz face build. Adjusting the bias knob allows a HUGE range of tones ranging from a traditional FF creamy buzz to almost like a 1.5 Tone Bender, with subtle gating at lower voltage. Not overly muddy or bass-heavy . I'd love to compare it with Doc's Green Goblin! :oldgrin:

The only down side is that I now feel compelled to save up the scratch so I can ask Charlie to build me another Fuzz Face in a traditional round enclosure!
Hats off to Charlie!
:cheers:
Hey! That was me you got that from. Hope you enjoy it dude!

Jamil
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

Hi Jamil, and Thanks! Yes, it's a great fuzz!
Idle South

Post by Idle South »

So, it’s an addiction. Each is unique.
Attachments
585CE0D1-9CBE-4916-97B8-764583BEE1BB.jpeg
585CE0D1-9CBE-4916-97B8-764583BEE1BB.jpeg (952.47 KiB) Viewed 895 times
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

Wow! I didn’t realize that there were that many different versions of the Haskins! I have the grey NKT281 version. What transistors are in the other three on your board?
Robapov

Post by Robapov »

Mygawddddd that board is amazing
L O V E