Hiwatt, Sound City, Matamp, Marshall or ??? for next amp?

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

Sound City amps are renowned for their unreliability and background noise. Great sound & headroom but you'll need to but 2 because one will always be with the repairman. 100+ watt Matamps or 70's Oranges would fit the bill imo.
It's like an orange on a toothpick
Dr Tony Balls

Re: Hiwatt, Sound City, Matamp, Marshall or ??? for next amp

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Damn. Sounds like I need to start buying Sound Cities and reworking the guts. What do you think? BALLSERCRAFT has a nice ring to it...
daCod

Post by daCod »

Dr Tony Balls wrote:Damn. Sounds like I need to start buying Sound Cities and reworking the guts. What do you think? BALLSERCRAFT has a nice ring to it...

This.
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
gaussgunn

Post by gaussgunn »

We all respect and love Hiwatts, but you gotta know that it doesnt mean that it will suit for your ideas. I tried Hiwatt dr103, Matamp GT100, Orange OR120, so Hiwatt differs very much, first of all - tone stack interaction. It was much easier to make friends dirt pedals and matamp / orange , than DR. DR got the biggest clean headroom, but do you really need as much? Its much funnier to mix amp's distortion with pedal, than just to make all the dirt only by the pedals. So my word goes for matamp / old orange or stuff like ad30/140 or50. Even noisy rusty shite like SC120 is a good choice. But the big Hiwatts - its a big investment only for those who knows what hes doing.

Marshall is just boring :hihi: :hihi:
samzadgan

Post by samzadgan »

for clean i think Matamp is awesom...I have the GT1, with the Master volume engaged I can get a lot more clean (i mean really clean) volume.

Also, someone else mentioned Sunn...i think old Solid State stuff is pretty good. I recently had a Peavey Studio 130w amp. And I took it into the studio, hooked it up to a 4x12 cab, and it was really quite good. My mate has a Sunn and to be honest the Peavey would easily hold it own again the Sunn...and the Peavey cost me less than $100.
ZaidAli95

Post by ZaidAli95 »

Marshall or hiwatt. In Toronto they can be found under 3000$