September Sound

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Bigfoot2000

Re: September Sound

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

I got a RoShi Elk the other day from Joes Pedals, it’s superb. Really fat and thick, squishy pick attack but still enough crunch mixed in. Well worth it and very reasonable pricing.
Instagram: @bigfoot.2000
Lach

Post by Lach »

redeyeflight wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:48 pm I’ve almost pulled the trigger on a Roshi elk muff a few times. The og elk I have is one of my favorite triangle muffs ever. The Roshi stuff is super reasonably priced too. I had a sept sound red muff for a while. Very nice product…those circuit boards he uses are super thick!! I found it to be pretty “hifi” sounding compared to an old muff. Not that that is a bad thing. But it certainly had its own thing going on. Has anyone here tried one of those Noel Cornet muffs? Another japanese builder that looks to be making an interesting product.
The Roshi ELF is a great candidate for an Elk Sustainar fan man! I loved it! And... then I sold it, oops. I think it was so dead on to my favourite I just moved it on when something else came up. Kinda wish I hadn't though, it was killer. I believe he was still experimenting a bit with what would be the best function of the switch (I had a very early one) whether it should be more mids/more gain/on-off etc. But awesome if you're a Sustainar fan and don't wanna pull out the OGs!
Attachments
SmartSelect_20211030-012811_Instagram.jpg
SmartSelect_20211030-012811_Instagram.jpg (173.34 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

I am going to get one eventually. The vertical board elk is my vote for one of the best big muffs ever.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

My only hands-on experience with Big Muffs up to now was in owning a Tone Wicker over a decade ago, and playing several EHX reissues over the years in music stores that never really connected with me. I now suspect that maybe the amps I was trying them thru weren't the best fit.

It's maybe the only fuzz rabbit hole deeper than the story of the Tone Bender (though obviously intertwined) with myriad variations over the years enough to make one dizzy before you even know where to start.

Having never had a bad experience with a D*A*M pedal as of yet, I figured if anybody could make me love a Big Muff circuit, it would be Dave. The clips of the DP-70 Triangle Circuit sounded the best to me - primitive, slightly choppy, nasty.

After perusing this thread and reading up on these elsewhere, I was also lucky to get hold of Tate directly and order a Dark Side Violetta V2 for a (I assume) Violet Ram's Head flavor.

Both arrived coincidentally on the same day, and after hours of FUZZ and a ringing in my ears, I'm left wondering whether these pedals actually do sound significantly better than other Muffs I've played or if I was just doing it wrong before. I can't say for sure (I suspect the latter) but I can say that both of them have finally made a Big Muff lover out of me :drool2:

I played around with all the fiddly extra controls on the Violetta, and the main one I can see myself occasionally utilizing is the midrange switch. I like to boost it a bit from stock, but otherwise I think the sound is perfect as is without messing with too much.

20211224_072121.jpg
20211224_072121.jpg (447.23 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

I have a similar experience to hamoftruth, except I’ve never previously owned any Muff or Muff copy of my own. My interest in Muffology was recently rekindled after spinning my old Floyd vinyl and reading up on Muffs here on the forum. I ordered an R fuzz directly from Shiro which arrived today, and also a DP-70 from 5e3 (who graciously offered to sell it to me here) which should arrive early next week. I can’t wait to plug them in and compare them to the other fuzzes in my arsenal. Merry Christmas fellow fuzz freaks!
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

P.S. - I sent an e-mail to Tate a couple of weeks ago to inquire about getting a September Sound of my own and have yet to hear back. Hopefully, I'll have some news on that front soon.

:tu:
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

A virgin RoShi R.
Attachments
IMG_2701.jpg
IMG_2701.jpg (551.26 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
IMG_2700.jpg
IMG_2700.jpg (625.5 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
glennleaguesny

Post by glennleaguesny »

If anyone is looking to unload a September Sound pedal please let me know. I have a Lila’s, but I’d be open to anything else. Been trying to get a hold of Tate directly but he’s a hard person to reach haha
Bigfoot2000

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

Thought I’d share a pic of my new September Sound Bass Fuzz on here in case anyone missed them on other platforms. Very cool fuzz. Still tweaking all the switches and knobs getting used to it. Huge sounds of course!
Attachments
594F1994-142A-4FFF-B0C8-422D9D4CFD1F.jpeg
594F1994-142A-4FFF-B0C8-422D9D4CFD1F.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 725 times
Instagram: @bigfoot.2000
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

That looks pretty awesome

So Bass Fuzz? What is it exactly? A muff or like a Jumbo?
’brutish in character but not thug like’