Page Fuzz

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Geoffrey

Re: Page Fuzz

Post by Geoffrey »

quote{The super beetle's have inbuilt fuzz, mrb etc. My supreme can get close, but it needs to be really loud. }
A little known fact about Super Beatles is that the American ones were solid state. The Beatles played tube versions... They were basically Vox AC30's but 100 watts. If a Super Beatle was used in any of the stuff being discussed here, you can bet it wasn't the more unimpressive solid state version. It would've been the kick ass tube version. Smell what I am cooking here dudes?
G.
What do you want from life
An Indian guru
to show you the inner light?
Cado

Post by Cado »

Hey Geoffrey, not all that long ago I would have never considered using a solid state amp. That is, until Philip started posing clips of his solid state amps. They sound great and in all probability suit what he's doing better than anything else. Check 'em out. :cheers:

Also did some further listening & the RAH sounds are closer to the LZII sounds than Paris 1969.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

My apologies, I am not dissing solid state. For bass especially, they don't sound bad. Not too keen on them for guitars though... A good player can make anything sound good though.. I will check out Phil's stuff. Certainly no disrespect meant to anyone here. I have had a couple of solid state bass amps that I liked. A tube amp player at heart though... Funny, I just played through an American Super Beatle yesterday, when trying out a 1964 Burns Jazz bass...
G.
What do you want from life
An Indian guru
to show you the inner light?
Philip

Post by Philip »

Geoffrey wrote: A little known fact about Super Beatles is that the American ones were solid state. The Beatles played tube versions... They were basically Vox AC30's but 100 watts. If a Super Beatle was used in any of the stuff being discussed here, you can bet it wasn't the more unimpressive solid state version. It would've been the kick ass tube version. Smell what I am cooking here dudes?
G.
I think you're getting your amps mixed up!? Are you meaning the AC100!?

The Beatles used the all solid state Super Beatle amps during the 1966 American Tour.

Although Page has mentioned one in interviews, it is possible that he is meaning the Vox UL-4120 he's seen using on occasions during 1968 - 1969.
Philip

Post by Philip »

Something bugs me about this mystery mayer/page pedal...

The page one supposedly sucks big time, but it is supposedly based on mayers 64 fuzz box. Then this guy who poorbob knows gets a custom made pedal supposedly by mayer which is meant to be the LZ era fuzz!?

Are there any similarities between the page one and this mystery pedal? If not, then why doesn't Mr Roger -cash in on famous names- Mayer release a version of the mystery pedal and make lots of money from it!?
Philip

Post by Philip »

Sickle wrote:
That's the 900lb gorilla in the room, innit..
It is to me!

If it's true that Mayer was able to build this pedal for someone within the last yew fears, that means he still has schematic and ability. He's cashed in on every other famous pedal variation so why not this one!?

I;m just going to come out and say what I believe some others are thinking...

I don't doubt that poorbob has heard a great fuzz pedal in person, but I have doubts about the story the guy told him and the origins of the pedal etc. Some parts of this story just don't sit right and led zeppelin land is full of bullshit stories and bullshit people.

The guy could easily have taken a couple of pics and made a quick recording over the past year, but instead here we are aaggesss later and he's ''sold it''!? :whistle:

This is no dig at you Trevor so please don't take any offense from what I've posted.

That being said, hopefully a royal amps/page hiwatt type situation could come out of this if it is true, ie we could see a production version of this pedal in some form.
tatter

Post by tatter »

I was wondering this. Perhaps Mayer's pedal is so close to the FZ-1 that it breaches Gibson's patent? Or maybe he had an agreement with Jimmy Page not to reveal the schematic, who knows.

Apparently the Page-1 that Roger Mayer used to build was based round an FZ-1 circuit but Mayer incorporated elements of the Big Muff tone circuit as well as other 'modern improvements'.

It's to his credit that he has tried to refine and develop all his products, it's just that a lot of people want the originals that are heard on the records.
http://www.myspace.com/sinisterfootwear
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinisterfootwear

Fender Vintage Player Stratocaster > D*A*M AA > Arion SAD-1 > Line 6 M9 > Ibanez 850 Mini Fuzz > CAE Boost / Line Driver
Philip

Post by Philip »

tatter wrote:I was wondering this. Perhaps Mayer's pedal is so close to the FZ-1 that it breaches Gibson's patent? Or maybe he had an agreement with Jimmy Page not to reveal the schematic, who knows.

Hmm, but he's supposedly built one for the guy poorbob knows, so all it took was for Roger to be a bit drunk to agree to break a long held agreement, sober up and then make the thing!? Doubt it.
tatter

Post by tatter »

Basically we need to take Roger Mayer and Dave out for a few pints, get them pissed and take incriminating photos. We'll be sitting on a fuzz goldmine! :twisted:
http://www.myspace.com/sinisterfootwear
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinisterfootwear

Fender Vintage Player Stratocaster > D*A*M AA > Arion SAD-1 > Line 6 M9 > Ibanez 850 Mini Fuzz > CAE Boost / Line Driver
starlingbrothers

Post by starlingbrothers »

tatter wrote:Basically we need to take Roger Mayer and Dave out for a few pints, get them pissed and take incriminating photos. We'll be sitting on a fuzz goldmine! :twisted:
That would be a very cool night out but I'm sure that the Captain would lead many of us astray and we'd be the ones who would be incrimated on film :party: