Page Fuzz

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Philip

Re: Page Fuzz

Post by Philip »

The live led zep fuzzy overdrive sounds where the MKII case is visible has certain distinctive characteristics imo. It's fuzzy, but it cleans up and has a tighter bass response than his fuzz tones from the live 67 - 68 yardbirds era.

I know it sometimes mentioned, but isn't it rather possible that his MKII is actually just a MK1.5!? Going by my experience of a MKII via D*A*M, I just don't hear a stock MKII during his led zep days.

I got much closer to page tones with the 65/MKI, but then there is the problem of no clean up. Imo, a MKI sound that can clean up would be THE ultimate fuzz pedal, especially for JP led zep stuff.

I recall stu saying he made a pedal based on the FZ and it came out sounding like the led zep - danish tv show.
Cado

Post by Cado »

That could be the amp he's using. Consider the tonal differences between the Danish TV show vs. Supershow. Arbiter vs. WEM. The Supershow tone is much more agressive. Also, by this point he was leaving his fuzz on all the time, so it was probably going into a clean amp; where as in the Yardbirds German TV 1967 his amp was overdriven. I've played my MKII through a Fender Blues Jr., a Mesa Boogie Nomad 100, and a Laney AOR 50. Through the Laney, the MKII produced an upper octave! This is a real tough nut to crack!
Cado

Post by Cado »

I think the Unidrive makes its appearence after the Les Paul. I hope?
Philip

Post by Philip »

He doesn't leave the fuzz on all the time during the supershow as you see him switch it on and off during the song. Tonal differences from amps, mic's, how it was recorded etc are always going to cloud this issue.

I found the D*A*M MKII has too much gain and is far too mushy in the bass department to get close to live LZ1 era tones. It gets the yardbirds solo sounds easily enough though, but I hear a distinct difference between the two periods regardless of the amps being used.
Philip

Post by Philip »

Cado wrote:I think the Unidrive makes its appearence after the Les Paul. I hope?
Live, it was only used for a short period during 1971.
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

Cado wrote:SHIT! I forgot about that ad. The guitar tone on Circles is a bit odd, I don't know either. I prefer The Who's version.
yeah, his tone sounds way compressed....i think it's the way he's playing it and a loud amp.
+1
Pete may not be as prodigious on lead guitar, but i don't care, i prefer the 'garage-like' sound
of Talmy's production and the 'feel' of Towser, Moon & co. is unbeatable.
Cado wrote:The thing that gets me is when I borrowed Cubba's 1965, I wasn't able to get the "Get The Picture" Guitar sounds. (Pause) I just checked out some of the fuzz tones on "SF Sorrow" they sound more like a MKI to me. Has anyone gotten different results from their 1965, or actual MKI?
I know what you mean. That buzzsaw GetThePicture sound is a tough nut to crack! It does sound a bit
more like a goosed-up FZ-1, so maybe it is the early version of the MK1. (Think For Yourself bassline on Rubber Soul sounds really buzzy like this too)...

I just figured that the Pretty Things had different guitars than i did. Kinda like how a Harmony's el-cheapo 'goldtone' DeArmond pickups really seem to goose a Maestro in a good way. They may be cheap, but they're high output and really kick an Fuzz Tone in the nuts, giving that Satisfaction honk/fuzz...Fender p'ups don't quite do it...

i can nail that crazy bass intro on Come See Me with my '63 Eko sparkle bass...
it has flatwounds and skinny neck...

I'll give the '65 a sound test this weekend with different types of guitars
to try and Get The Picture
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
Cado

Post by Cado »

Philip wrote:He doesn't leave the fuzz on all the time during the supershow as you see him switch it on and off during the song. Tonal differences from amps, mic's, how it was recorded etc are always going to cloud this issue.

I found the D*A*M MKII has too much gain and is far too mushy in the bass department to get close to live LZ1 era tones. It gets the yardbirds solo sounds easily enough though, but I hear a distinct difference between the two periods regardless of the amps being used.
I'm assuming you are talking about the bowed section, compare the tones of LZ Danish TV 1969 with YB French TV 1968. Same setup, very similar sounds. For now I'll have to stick to the amp theory. :cheers:
Cado

Post by Cado »

Thanks Psycho, please report back.

Poor Bob, sorry if I'm hijacking. The source of these sounds awaken my inner geek in a major fashion. BTW, any luck with those Zep II tones? :ugeek:
Philip

Post by Philip »

Cado wrote: I'm assuming you are talking about the bowed section, compare the tones of LZ Danish TV 1969 with YB French TV 1968. Same setup, very similar sounds. For now I'll have to stick to the amp theory. :cheers:
I cannae remember, I just recall seeing him switch it on/off. :-D

Have you spied the arbiter 100 at the yardbirds show?
starlingbrothers

Post by starlingbrothers »

Philip wrote:
Cado wrote: I'm assuming you are talking about the bowed section, compare the tones of LZ Danish TV 1969 with YB French TV 1968. Same setup, very similar sounds. For now I'll have to stick to the amp theory. :cheers:
I cannae remember, I just recall seeing him switch it on/off. :-D
The mystique disappears ! As he was a Rock God I'd assumed that a bevy of beautiful women would be turning him on and twiddling his knobs, so to speak :whistle: