Has anyone heard of vintage MK1 MK2 Walt Byrd effect pedals?

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

tatter

Re: Has anyone heard of vintage MK1 MK2 Walt Byrd effect pedals?

Post by tatter »

Interesting, I wonder when Gary Hurst moved to Italy ('68?), either something to do with him or Vox maybe?

Have you any internal shots you'd be willing to show?

Where's Dave when you need him!

EDIT: From the photo it looks like you also have a blue hammerite Marshall Supa Fuzz?!?!
http://www.myspace.com/sinisterfootwear
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinisterfootwear

Fender Vintage Player Stratocaster > D*A*M AA > Arion SAD-1 > Line 6 M9 > Ibanez 850 Mini Fuzz > CAE Boost / Line Driver
Mr. Min T. Fresh

Post by Mr. Min T. Fresh »

API,

You have a PM :oldsmile:
I have a big dick and I challenge you to swallow it or fight me strait up.
simonm

Post by simonm »

API wrote:Hi.

I am new to the forum and maybe do not have bragging rights yet, but here is a pic of both from my collection.
Knobs have been changed on the Mk I style pedal, Ithey should be bigger and I have them still.
Cor!
that's a fair bit of the old blue hammerite you got there...
Handmade, high-impact, great-looking radical queer germanium fuzz. A different approach to 1960s-inspired fuzz pedals, no clones, check them out at https://goodfuzzysounds.com or on YouTube https://tinyurl.com/GFS-YT
Philip

Post by Philip »

Wow, the MKI style case in blue hammerite looks lovely, the MKII style case looks like shit though! :hihi:

Can I buy your MKI version? :badteeth:
dazed and confused

Post by dazed and confused »

Oh, sweet! I like em! I suggest you sell them all to me :oldgrin:
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Nice!! :hyper: I did get to play a couple of these rare bastards. Both had the same MK1.5 type circuit inside. How do these compare?
Graham

Post by Graham »

API wrote:They are definately not made by Solasound, that much I know.
I have done some research on them and from memory my conclusion was that they were made in Italy.
When I first came across them I made some energetic research into the name - Walt Byrd was a jazz player - it would seem logical that he had a couple of copies made up into nice looking enclosures - a bit early for Pescara made stuff though the 2 trannie circuit was a distinctive of the italian version of the pedal (as was the brief 2 trannie version of the earliest Sola (though not named such) mk2's - commonly referred to as the mk1.5 - mine (used to be Carl Gees) has a red undercoat under the grey and sounds like a wonderful Ge fuzz face.

G
:party:
API

Post by API »

I think there was some writing on the circuit board of the MkII one that led me to believe that they were made in Italy.
Me and Stu did look it up at one point.

Will have a look again on that as well.

The Mk 1.5 (that was actually me that came up with that moniker!!) is another chapter.
I am leaning more and more towards that they were not made by Solasound, but we should save that for another chapter as well.
I think I actually did something stupid with naming it like that, it could very well be that it was made after the MkII.
More of that later.

API
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

API wrote:The Mk 1.5 (that was actually me that came up with that moniker!!) is another chapter.
I am leaning more and more towards that they were not made by Solasound, but we should save that for another chapter as well.
I think I actually did something stupid with naming it like that, it could very well be that it was made after the MkII.
More of that later.

API
Yes you have a lot to answer for on that one! :hihi: It still confuses the shit outta people.

Hmm how would that explain the small board MKII's? The layout is the same as the MKI.5. Surely they wouldn't use the large board MKII and then revert to the small one. Would they? The small version is a terrible layout.

Is it later now? You're killing me with this stuff.
dazed and confused

Post by dazed and confused »

Nice to have API on the forum and a great collection that I am sure will help with some unanswered questions.

Graham,
Please can we see a shot of your lovely collection? Apologies if you have already posted it, I am waaay behind on reading posts.

Peace
D&C