The Dope Priest

The electron charged knuckle duster.

Moderator: The Captain

nad

Re: The Dope Priest

Post by nad »

Okay okay okay. So yeah. I don't like Muffs. I mean sure I think they sound FANTASTIC on guitar, and other dudes seem to do just fine with them on bass, but I've never been able to get them to work for me and that thing I do. In fact I even wrote a poem about my numerous failed attempts just last year:

I'm fucking done with Muffs.
This time I've had enough.
They just ain't up to snuff.
I do not like their fluff.

I try them once a year.
And rarely have the fear.
They have no sense of clear.
With my bass, I cannot hear.

Instant buried in a mix!
For this I've found no fix.
I try to play my licks.
And end up feeling Styx.

Get away from me, you Pi.
I insist that you must die.
Move along, do not even try.
To ever again catch my eye.

I, of course, went back for more anyhow, because I am a glutton for punishment when it comes to things fuzz. Glad that I did! After just one gig with this here Dope Priest #7 I take my misplaced rage ALL BACK because this pedal solved my quest for The Perfect Bass Muff. It fucking kills! All gaps have been filled!

At long last, I have finally found a Muff to call my own. Awwww. :cthulhu2:
"'Tis a world of creditors, of which the tomb and the worm are the last. There is little left for the devil, when these have taken their due account."
--The Skeleton
66Park

Post by 66Park »

Regarding bass and fuzz, I've wondered if using something like the Xotic X-Blender would help. With that, you could mix in some of your clean sound with the fuzz.
nad

Post by nad »

66Park wrote:Regarding bass and fuzz, I've wondered if using something like the Xotic X-Blender would help. With that, you could mix in some of your clean sound with the fuzz.
I've thought about those a few times, but if I have to add a pedal to a pedal to make it work... ehhh... I'm not really into that. Since my playing is 99% live and 1% studio, I like my signal chains simple, even when I'm using multiple fuzz pedals all shoved into one another.

At the same time, I don't think that a clean blend is always the greatest idea. For things like Muffs and Fuzz Faces, and other jumbo/LARGE sounding things, I don't want any clean signal mixed in. It's more of a question of finding the right ones with enough low end and cut to work for me.

Some of my favoUrite fuzz pedals do have a clean blend built-in already, so it can definitely work great when done right! But I've used quite a handful of pedals where the clean blend was awful, they didn't work at all for my own particular brand of tweak-o-rama.

My all time #1 forever and ever fuzz, the Malekko B:Assmaster (original version), has a dirty blend, that's the best! :smashed:
"'Tis a world of creditors, of which the tomb and the worm are the last. There is little left for the devil, when these have taken their due account."
--The Skeleton
jreeves47

Post by jreeves47 »

2 amps!
jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

First of all, Muffs on bass are simply boring :smashed:

And I think the whole bass fuzz thing is not about amount of low end, but cutting in the mix. Dirty lowest lows are usually one big fart, so very often it's better to cut them a bit. I built custom Fuzz Face (with pre-gain control instead of fuzz, which helps to clean it a bit) for a friend that plays bass in doom metal band and it actually works great! Brassmaster doesn't have huge low end either.

Get Black Acid :tu:
nad

Post by nad »

jetofuj wrote:First of all, Muffs on bass are simply boring :smashed:
You and I have always seen eye-to-eye on these things, aye? Or would that be... fuzz-to-fuzz?! Image

I used the Dope Priest with my big 4x12 cab at rehearsal last night, and it sounded like FUCKING THUNDER. And yes, I am speaking of inappropriate sexual relations with an electrified weather pattern.

It's never going to be my main fuzz, but for very specific things? Absolutely perfect. :cthulhu2:
--The Skeleton
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

A buddy of mine gave me a heads up on this. Dope Priest spotted in the wild. Noises start about 0:50 seconds in. :party:

superslidetail

Post by superslidetail »

:headbanger:
Orange Haze...it ain't Purple no more...
Gemma Thrush

Post by Gemma Thrush »

This is quite cool.
windjamma

Post by windjamma »

Yep i'd bang them all. :badlove: