The Black Acid

The electron charged knuckle duster.

Moderator: The Captain

The Captain

The Black Acid

Post by The Captain »

Young man on acid, thought he could fly

This Acid is non blacker. A little late to the party on getting this info down on the ground be hear we go. A YAFF* circa 2012. The Black Acid is basically a pool. All the little iddy biddy nuggets of information learned from screwing around with this circuit over the last 10 years. Nothing revolutionary and no reinvention of the wheel just a different slice of the same cake.
The destination on the trip: The Black Acid has substantial weight and heavy saturation without having a complete strangle hold on the lower frequencies. It has the same perceived amplitude as the old Meathead Dark but with the lows being tighter with greater clarity. It has considerably more output than a stock Fuzz Face but I'd say that it retains more of the vintage nature than any of the Meatheads, I guess you could say the frequency spread is more even. The highs and lows are nicely balanced so the projection is good plus with the mids not being as forced the clean-up from the guitars volume control is very pleasant, though pleasant wasn't really plan here.

*yet another fuzz face

Silicon Implants

Exact same dealio with the construction style and the internal arrangement as with the Priest. A much simpler circuit but and again components selected to get the job done. At the heart of the Acid is a pair of Magnatec BC109's. UK made transistors don't you know. A great quality component that really complements this circuit set-up. Even running flat-out and blowing the barn doors wide open there is cleanliness or crispness to the tone. Don't get me wrong, it's as sludgy as fuck but sludgy without having cotton wool forced into your ears.

Adjust Me

The controls are pretty damn obvious but I'd say the rule of attenuation applies to this pedal, as in I'd advise starting out with the Drive and Fuzz controls wide open and them bringing them back to where you'd like be at. The Fuzz is as you'd find on any Fuzz Face or the Tone Benders Attack control, it's only really gonna kick-in with the heavy on last quarter of the turn. There be plenty of scope for cool tones and amp blending but if you want the heavy open it up. The Drive is basically the pre-gain of the pedal. It's like having your guitars volume control on the floor. The point of this is that it's a great way to un-flab the lows when you're driving the thing hard into the front end of a driven valve amp. It also gives up some great overdrive tones and just makes the box a whole lot more of a flexible tool. The Drive and Fuzz controls also have a pretty sweet interaction thing going off. The Black Acid ain't as 'yeah! lets fucking party!' as the Priest is on the controls front but put the time in and the rewards will be plentiful.

So again, pretty short and sweet. It's all kinda self explanatory. Again clips shall be sorted ASAP. Still riding high about these new projects. It's all feeling pretty positive and heading in the right direction. This first batch of Acids was real small but we got more coming soon. All the EFE manifestations will be available from the nice folk listed on the D*A*M website.

Again, thanks to Stu for the rad fucking boards and of course Greg for joining our freak show :badteeth:

pr0nz...

Cumming in your ears.

norhyme

Post by norhyme »

:skellrock: YES¡ :skellrock:
“Interviewer: 'So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?' Frank Zappa: 'You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?” ― Frank Zappa
daCod

Post by daCod »

gawd damn Gawd Damn GAWD DAMN !!!!!!
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
fendersilver

Re: The Black Acid

Post by fendersilver »

Damn...Dis is...Some good shit!

Post by mjkk »

Used mine at practice last night, and it is very tweakable and usable. The Drive knob is great, otherwise Daves words are right on. I can't imagine wanting a head buzz now..
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Hell yea...can't wait to rock out with this one!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Philip

Post by Philip »

:freakout:
cajone5

Post by cajone5 »

:headpop:
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.
kristo

Post by kristo »

This sounds ace, how do we get on the list?
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Black acid arrived on my doorstep today...initial impressions in a bit!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")