The Black Acid

The electron charged knuckle duster.

Moderator: The Captain

modeerf

Post by modeerf »

^Nice man, can't wait to check them both out. I'm sure they are great.
Do Drugs, Worship Satan.
Brown90

Post by Brown90 »

I've been anxiously waiting for Joe's email telling me my name has come up for a Black Acid :) ! Really looking forward to have it !
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Had a chance to use the black acid at a gig last night. Really nice pedal...with the bit of extra output it has on tap it can really stand out in the mix. Very pleased with it!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
TheWarmth

Re: The Black Acid

Post by TheWarmth »

Just got word that my name came up on the list for this one. Can't wait. Surprised no one else has mentioned it. Surely, more than just one unit went out recently.
starplustars

Post by starplustars »

Today I've got an email from Jon! And finished the payment.
I can't wait!
cajone5

Post by cajone5 »

So I just got my Black Acid and have a question...

I play single coils exclusively (in fact I only have one guitar! A strat! :zgrin: )... After testing the pedal, I'm curious, was this thing designed with higher output pickups in mind (i.e. humbuckers)? The reason I ask is because the fuzz knob is virtually useless unless in the last 5-10% of the sweep. Anything less and the sound gets farty, loose and gated as if it's not seeing enough signal. With the fuzz and drive knobs maxed it sounds pretty fucking great but it's sort of a one trick pony in that respect, although I guess the drive allows some minor tuning of the overall fuzziness with the fuzz knob maxed but I get similar results with changes in my guitar volume. I guess I was expecting a bit more variety in available tones. Anyway, I just want to make sure nothing's up with my pedal... :paranoid:
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.
daCod

Post by daCod »

this pedal is really great, but does take some getting used to.

i wouldnt classify it as 110% one-trick pony. i run mine fuzz full up, volume between 2 and 3 o'clock, drive varying 10 and 2 o'clock depending on the guitar i'm using.
it takes a kick in the face from that wooden basic audio rangie i have quite well. adds a bit of gain and clarity. the MHDeluxe i had was the same way. knobs were set
about the same on that one as well. fuzz full up and filter between 10 and noon. it took me some getting used to [with the acid] but it's a regular in the lineup every
time i'm plugged in :tu:

might not be a bad idea to ask santa for a P-90 or bucker loaded guitar :hihi:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Nervous Nick

Post by Nervous Nick »

cajone5 wrote:So I just got my Black Acid and have a question...

I play single coils exclusively (in fact I only have one guitar! A strat! :zgrin: )... After testing the pedal, I'm curious, was this thing designed with higher output pickups in mind (i.e. humbuckers)? The reason I ask is because the fuzz knob is virtually useless unless in the last 5-10% of the sweep. Anything less and the sound gets farty, loose and gated as if it's not seeing enough signal. With the fuzz and drive knobs maxed it sounds pretty fucking great but it's sort of a one trick pony in that respect, although I guess the drive allows some minor tuning of the overall fuzziness with the fuzz knob maxed but I get similar results with changes in my guitar volume. I guess I was expecting a bit more variety in available tones. Anyway, I just want to make sure nothing's up with my pedal... :paranoid:
I use it with single coils and it's great. Yeah the fuzz knob really kicks in only at the end of the sweep....but mine doesn't sound farty or gated at all when the fuzz know is rolled back.
I totally agree about the MH DLX attack knob working pretty much the same way as the fuzz knob in the Black Acid.
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

cajone5 wrote:So I just got my Black Acid and have a question...
First up, you shouldn't be getting farty or gated sound with the Acid. You do mean gated as in you can't achieve a clean-ish tone with the guitar volume backed off, right?

The Acid is like any other old school voltage feedback circuit type fuzzer (Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, Meathead blah blah blah) when it comes to the Attack or Fuzz control. Best way to think of it is as attenuation. Start flat out and inch back as required.

Another thing to bare in mind is that the Fuzz and the Drive control are very interactive with one another. With the Drive backed off the Fuzz control will be even more subtle at lower settings. The Acid does seem very much like a one trick pony at first glance but a little time spent and a few mental doors do open.
I've approached this pedal type in the same way for almost a decade. Every thing on full and tweak as required. The Fuzz control can at times seem pointless but any one with experience of a good silicon Fuzz Face will dig it usefulness.
modeerf

Post by modeerf »

Yeah, most fuzz face 'fuzz' knobs will really let you have it in the last quarter turn or so.

I gotta say the Black Acid is probably my pick for gear of the year. I love the midrange content it has. It seems more earthy than alot of fuzz faces and has a certain 'bark' to it that I love. The drive knob is a special feature that I really enjoy. Opens up a lot of between tones and sounds cool with the fuzz off while being pushed with humbuckers. Besides that it is big and beautiful, and the silver printing is badass.
Do Drugs, Worship Satan.