Fewer visible photons...The Meathead Dark

The word on the street, FAQ's, forum updates.

Moderator: The Captain

The Captain

Fewer visible photons...The Meathead Dark

Post by The Captain »

Coming soon to ears near you. Aiming to have these in the store by next Wednesday. Will confirm as the week begins. Just wanted to add this pic really :hihi: ....can you guess what record we been listening to today? :badlove: Plus I'm in the mood to describe its inner workings.

For those of you who do not know and haven't worked it out as yet. This is the Meathead "Dark" Named and brought back to life by teh good Pope and based upon the very early Meathead as used by the handsome fellows of Slomatics. These are heavier than the the bass heavy set of Black 'n' Gold Meatheads we sold a while back. These are HEVAY. Quick history lesson.
The very very early Meatheads were basically a dark Overdrive booster. More closer to the Muff Fuzz than the Fuzz Face, which the present day Meat is obviously related too...though I could say its related to a Tone Bender MKI.5 or even a Vox Distortion Booster but that will confuse matters so I won't.
It was intended just as simple kick up the asre box for a tube amp and kinda like an intro to D*A*M stuff for folks not wishing to take the gamble on our other gear. This idea didn't last very long, well as long as it took until I scored a tasty 1970's hammerite blue DMI Fuzz Face. This thing was a horrid chewy bastard and gated like hell fire but was somewhat endearing to me. I cloned the circuit in this pedal and tweaked it to how I saw fit. Louder, more gain, more focus, less noise. To quote: "Volume! Clarity! bass! We must have bass!" That pretty much sums up where I was taking things. Any ways, The stage was set. The Meathead was born for real. An ugly little purple bastard that would chew of your face, spit it out and then take a piss on it.
I starting selling the things on eBay and a few via the site. People were confused. "Its too loud!, how do I turn it down?, can't you make one with two knobs?, can I have my money back? and so forth. One of the few guys that actually "got it" was David from Slomatics. This gave me great hope. Wow! This guy actually likes the pedal and digs that it has one knob. Its weird, when you start out in this game as you really only know what you like personally, I like simple pedals. One knob seemed obvious to me but it don't mean that anyone will buy em.
The confusion gang was kinda out weighing the the getting it crowd so I eventually changed the Meathead to a more mid humped contraption. This was more aggressive than the current standard model and probably made matters worse. I eventually found a middle ground, which wasn't until say 2007, where the standard became as such. Plenty meat but with enough salad to make it palatable.

So the Dark. A beast from days gone by. This is how the Meathead (proper) was meant to be. No salad, nah fuck it, no dressing or ketchup even, just a huge slab of raw bloody horribleness.
I guess I have just been the divining rod in this affair. This nasty little fucker wants to exist so allow it to be so.

When the lists re-open you will be able to order the Meathead as either Standard or the DarK :badteeth: Cool beans eh.
And no you can't have a switch fitted to switch between the two flavours! That isn't the point. That pig won't fly.

A little sampler of 8 will go up for sale next week then only a month to go until the list opens. :party: How do you like dem apples?

Edit: Listing times added by Captain Ulysses 31

All listing are BIN prices, 145 English pounds each, 2 of each pedal every three hours as so. As always the times are in GMT.

Thursday 2nd April

12.30pm

3.30pm

6.30pm

9.30pm

~David magic beans Main

Store link: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Differential-A ... festationz
the_original_mr_nice

Re: Fewer visible photons...The Meathead Dark

Post by the_original_mr_nice »

And there I was, thinking that I didn't 'need' another Meathead and then along come the sparkly pink and now the 'dark' version :headpop:
dirty finger

Post by dirty finger »

The Captain wrote:How do you like dem apples?
To the max
:trippn: :trippn: :trippn: :trippn: :trippn:
grygrx

Post by grygrx »

Very nice, you seem to be speeding along recently.
i love sharin foo

Post by i love sharin foo »

WHEN THAT LIST OPENS, I AM MOST DEFINITELY GETTING ON IT!!!

Oh yes, it will be mine :freakout:
pigeontoe

Post by pigeontoe »

That looks badass. I must have. :marx:
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

truly awesome!! :headpop: I like the description of the sound and the box itself is just rad...I want!!! :shocked:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
kb892

Post by kb892 »

thanks for the history Dave, i must say i love all my meatheads for who they are but just out of curiousity where does ol' no.10 fall in the mix? i'm guessin it's like these here darks.

skybone

Post by skybone »

Schaweet! :dance: :tu:

Me wants one!!! :badlove: :badlove: :badlove:
Kayzer

Post by Kayzer »

Hell Yeah
+350 pedal demos from hell
http://www.youtube.com/xtimehascomex