One for the Captain's "Suggestion Box"...

The word on the street, FAQ's, forum updates.

Moderator: The Captain

Richard Groff

One for the Captain's "Suggestion Box"...

Post by Richard Groff »

I’d like to humbly offer for consideration an alternative to the means by which new D*A*M pedals are sold. With BIN auctions going in less than 60 seconds and waiting lists filling in a few hours at most, I would argue that it seems to have left a less than equitable situation for both D*A*M and its customers.

What I would humbly propose is in lieu of taking lists on new pedals, the Captain just produce his normal run of 20 and put them on eBay for 7 day auctions starting at his normal selling price with no BIN, each pedal closing in successive 6 hour intervals.

In my opinion this would create a number of positive outcomes:

1) D*A*M would get the actual market value for its goods;
2) Everyone would get a fair chance to bid on pedals they want (there’s capitalism for you!);
3) We would have a much better idea of the actual value of the pedals once the market stabilizes; and
4) It would probably cut down administrative work considerably at D*A*M.

In other words, WIN-WIN

Obviously, there would be losers in this scenario. People who just hawk the forum to get on a list and sell at a 500% profit would loose. People who believe they need 3 of everything would loose (unless they really wanted to pony up some cash). People who just want to buy as many pedals for their shelf at the lowest possible price for “internet status” would loose. But, I believe D*A*M would win by getting a market value for its goods, creating a more open environment for people further afield to try its products, and in the long run, the early-days collectors would win because it would expand the reputation and exposure which can’t hurt long term value.

I’m on the MKII list #2 for over a year and am going to sometime soon actually pay and take delivery. But, if we’re being honest, the fact I actually want to play the thing with my band is cursory to the fact that in reality, I won a lottery ticket for the chance to buy money at twenty cents to the dollar. I would have just preferred paying more so I could have been playing it for the last year, or if it didn’t work for me for the cost, re-sell it at something other than a market bending price.

Anyway, it's just a thought...
muffin man

Re: One for the Captain's "Suggestion Box"...

Post by muffin man »

I personally think the way these pedal's are sold now is the fairest way.
The only D*A*M pedal's that are difficult to obtain is the out of production stuff or the custom stuff.
And at least with the list's the guy's less able to afford pedal's get time to save the cash.
Selling everything on an ebay auction would hike the price's and take these pedal's out of reach for some.
I know the BIN's are really hard to win but in a little over a year i've managed to get 8 different pedal's through ebay and the buy/sell/trade section on this forum, you just need to be patient and keep checking the forum.
Robapov

Post by Robapov »

i like the system that is in place right now...i was able to score a red baron rooster and not pay an arm and leg for it...the ebay auctions are def super quick and a lot of luck is involved but it is very fun and exciting...the lists take a while to build but the price and quality is unmatched in the pedal universe....

if the bins on ebay were for 4-6 pedals a lot of people would be happy
i agree a run of 20 pedals put into 4 or 5 different ebay auctions would be fantastic...

overall i leave it to the captain...i am a gigging singer songwriter and a jazz performance major in school and though i do not have all the DAMs i dream of, having a few really makes me appreciate them that much more...they get lots of use and are worth their wait in gold...

especially my 66'

!
L O V E
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

As disappointed as I was in the Fuzz Sound auctions I still see the Ebay BIN as the least of all evils. Prices will skyrocket out of the range of most with auctions.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Damn-Deal-Done

Post by Damn-Deal-Done »

"People who believe they need 3 of everything"

:doh:

I don't mind the current system. Wait lists are easy enough to get on.

I won my Meathead with a BIN so it can be done, but that was a bit ago now. I think the BINs that Dave does are just something extra. The wait lists are good for people like me who need to save. You know, the none collector type who sometimes needs the odd pedal to make music with. :oldgrin: :fu:

Auctions are a bad idea in my opinion. For two reasons. 1 - Noobs drive prices up in bidding wars when there's still a week left in the auction. 2 - These noobs get sniped by a collector with too much money and a small penis. Everyone loses. :oldlol:

I have an idea for an even greater system.

Dave should contact me first with everything he ever does so I can get first dibs.
:ztongue:

:box:
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Damn-Deal-Done wrote:"People who believe they need 3 of everything"

:doh:

... For two reasons. 1 - Noobs drive prices up in bidding wars when there's still a week left in the auction. 2 - These noobs get sniped by a collector with too much money and a small penis. Everyone loses. :oldlol:

Yes

I have an idea for an even greater system.

Dave should contact me first with everything he ever does so I can get first dibs.
:ztongue:

I like your thinking :hihi:

:box:
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Richard Groff

Post by Richard Groff »

Well, I didn't delude myself into believing my idea would be popular with the mulit-times-a-day forum checkers (which I am as well!), but it was just an idea. I seriously don't believe the prices would hike as much as people think if there were 20 pedals up at a time (or more). OK, they wouldn't be cheaper than list, for sure, but I doubt they'd be that much more.

To be honest, I personally don't mind the current system as the pedal I REALLY want (MKII) I'm going to get sometime soon at a great price after showing a bit of patience. And, I doubt I'd have trouble picking up other things I'm interested in.

Awww, fuck it. I take it all back. You're right. I guess it just rubs me the wrong way that there are going to be lurkers who snipe a spot on the lists only to flip them, but no matter what system is devised, someone is going to take advantage somehow.

:ladder:
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

Sickle wrote:Life isn't fair. You have Lady Luck, Random Chance, and Sgt Murphy to contend with in addition to kidney stones, shingles and eventually death itself.
& that's just the good stuff. :hihi:

I like the current system. If it was all auctions I'd probably never be able to afford another D*A*M. Also, I'd worry about gigging with a pedal that cost me £700+.
It's like an orange on a toothpick
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

all good things in life are worth the wait... :wink2:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
cubba

Post by cubba »

Richard Groff wrote: I guess it just rubs me the wrong way that there are going to be lurkers who snipe a spot on the lists only to flip them, but no matter what system is devised, someone is going to take advantage somehow.
:ladder:

Yes Richard, that part miffs me too,
but I could not afford to pay auction prices for these.
You're right, I do belive the auction prices would eventually come down,
but they'd still be greater than the BIN prices.

I admire your attempt to see anohter way,
but I haven't heard a better system yet than the current one
that makes Dave's gear available to myself and many others at Dave's current prices.
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende