How close is the tone between.....

The word on the street, FAQ's, forum updates.

Moderator: The Captain

Scott

How close is the tone between.....

Post by Scott »

the D*A*M* MK1 and the latest reissue Gary Hurst gold metal encased MK1? Any discernible differences or pretty much the same? I apologize if this has been asked before. This is my first post and this is an awesome board. From what i've read, you guys know your shit. Keep it up. Thanks for any info. you might have for me.
JP30

Re: How close is the tone between.....

Post by JP30 »

i am sure someone here can give you a better answer, but from what I understand, GH MKI and D*A*M MKI are different.

The late re-issued Gary Hurst MKI actually has MKII circuit in it.
and naturally it sounds very much like MKII.

D*A*M MKI ... has actual MK1 circuit (or should it be called 1.5 cicuit?)
and from talking to people here, I believe that it's little more gated...kinda like mestro fuzztone but has more fuzz satuation like MKII.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Thanks JP30. I appreciate your response.
Scott

Post by Scott »

thanks sickle. So in essence, it's really NOT an exact duplicate of the original gold and black MK1. That's to bad. I saw a wood enclosed MK1. I believe its the reissue prototype version. Would you say that that one is more truer to the original tone of the MK1?
Scott

Post by Scott »

I think i may just pick up one of the sola sound type MK1s. I like what you wrote in your description of it as compared to the wooden reissue version. Thanks!!!!! Keep the FUZZ KNOWLEDGE a comin'!!
Poorbob

Post by Poorbob »

Scott wrote:I think i may just pick up one of the sola sound type MK1s. I like what you wrote in your description of it as compared to the wooden reissue version. Thanks!!!!! Keep the FUZZ KNOWLEDGE a comin'!!
Where are you gonna pick one up from?
Scott

Post by Scott »

i saw some reissue metal encased gary hurst MK1s on ebay. From what i've heard, the gold and black metal reissue sounds a bit better than its predecessor in the WOODEN enclosure. I'm just wondering if his wooden enclosure reissue has the same exact guts as his gold and black metal reissue. I personally like the looks of the gold metal one better.
Poorbob

Post by Poorbob »

I may be mistaken, but I don't think those are MKI's. Keep researching to find what you want. This is a great place to research the varieties and narrow down what you want.
jimi_dylan

Post by jimi_dylan »

I agree with Poorbob. It sounds like you are now describing the MKII, which they incorrectly call an "MK1."
tatter

Post by tatter »

I think there is a new version of the Gary Hurst MKI which is limited to 50 units, and has the correct MKI circuit in it. The older ones have a MKII circuit in them. I haven't played or heard one but i doubt they will be as well biased as the D*A*M 1965. Probably still a great pedal though.
http://www.myspace.com/sinisterfootwear
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinisterfootwear

Fender Vintage Player Stratocaster > D*A*M AA > Arion SAD-1 > Line 6 M9 > Ibanez 850 Mini Fuzz > CAE Boost / Line Driver