Favorite Fuzz Tones

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Space_Case

Re: Favorite Fuzz Tones

Post by Space_Case »

For some likely Mk1 Tonebender use I had to throw in a few Ronson era Bowie songs and an early Jeff Beck group one

"'Information. What's wrong with dope and women? Is it any wonder the world's gone insane, with information come to be the only real medium of exchange?' 'I thought it was cigarettes.'"
Space_Case

Post by Space_Case »

Last one and I think I'm done :banger:

Controversial among Who fans but I've included an Isle of Wight song over a Live at Leeds version. Bass and drums were definitely recorded better at Leeds, but there was always something about the fuzzed out solo on this version that did it for me

"'Information. What's wrong with dope and women? Is it any wonder the world's gone insane, with information come to be the only real medium of exchange?' 'I thought it was cigarettes.'"
The-kangass

Post by The-kangass »

beliave to be ampeg scrambler.

this pure hell is totally overblown italian solid state keyboard amp :badlove:
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

Space_Case wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:47 am For some likely Mk1 Tonebender use I had to throw in a few Ronson era Bowie songs and an early Jeff Beck group one
I'm not convinced about a fuzzbox on those Bowie songs. Mick's straight amp sound is already pretty fuzzy, but not in the same way that a Tone Bender sounds. I wonder how many commercial boutiquers are flogging MKI Tone Bender clones that have been meticulously matched to recordings where the model wasn't even used :badteeth:

This video is pretty awesome because it actually shows Mick cycling between straight, fuzz & fuzz wah:

Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

Speaking of the Who, this session was recorded during the period when Pete was still using a MKI, but I've been wondering more recently whether he might have used a Pep Box for this one? Not sure if Pete's connection with Rush goes back this early, but there is a photo of the Vagabonds (at Ready Steady Go) performing with the Who's backline, with a Pep Box visible on the floor :hmm:

HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Nick wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:04 pm I'm not convinced about a fuzzbox on those Bowie songs. Mick's straight amp sound is already pretty fuzzy, but not in the same way that a Tone Bender sounds. I wonder how many commercial boutiquers are flogging MKI Tone Bender clones that have been meticulously matched to recordings where the model wasn't even used :badteeth:

This video is pretty awesome because it actually shows Mick cycling between straight, fuzz & fuzz wah:
Fuck me - never seen that footage before. Love how all the teenage girls in the audience only had eyes for Mick's MkI…

I'm with you, Nick, in that I think Mick's amp and right-hand attack is all there is in a lot of his Bowie sound.

As an aside, how insane is it that "Diamond Dogs" features both Ronson and Alan Parker - two of my favourite guitarists of all time? Parker is credited for "1984" and uncredited on "Rebel Rebel". Probably played on a bunch of the other tracks as well. Both those guys could make anything sound absolutely glorious.
Rygar

Post by Rygar »

maybe when J started using the Univox Super Fuzz? I like how it devolves at the end to what sounds like a can of spray paint
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

HorseyBoy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:55 amAs an aside, how insane is it that "Diamond Dogs" features both Ronson and Alan Parker - two of my favourite guitarists of all time? Parker is credited for "1984" and uncredited on "Rebel Rebel". Probably played on a bunch of the other tracks as well. Both those guys could make anything sound absolutely glorious.
Did Ronson really appear on Diamond Dogs? I think I remember reading or hearing that he arranged some of the songs earlier, but wasn't in the studio. There's a live version of 1984 where he plays that happened before the recordings and it's pretty different from the album version.

Condolences, the bums lost!
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Laundromat wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:48 am Did Ronson really appear on Diamond Dogs? I think I remember reading or hearing that he arranged some of the songs earlier, but wasn't in the studio. There's a live version of 1984 where he plays that happened before the recordings and it's pretty different from the album version.
Hmmm. Well, now that you mention it, I'm not 100% sure. Bowie credited himself for all the guitar (bar "1984") on the album and I may have confused "Diamond Dogs" with "Aladdin Sane". :hmm:
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

The-kangass wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:26 pm
this pure hell is totally overblown italian solid state keyboard amp :badlove:
That's a rad track and a rad tone :freakout:
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues