String Gauge?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

slomatic

Re: String Gauge?

Post by slomatic »

Hey Jim

Did you have to tweak yr GS truss rod for those big strings?? I put 13s on my GS SG and the neck feels weird, sort of bowed and dead above teh 14th fret.

For all my talk I'm thinking of sticking with the 12s - tuning down further means my "other" tuning GGCFAD becomes insanely low, and a bit indistinct sounding... :bangs head:
Volume over talent
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

Yes.
I got a guitar tech to set my black GS up cos it was all wrong when I bought it & I don't like fiddling with truss rods. The red one was fine without any adjustment. All I had to do was alter the intonation. Gordon Smiths are sold new with 9s or 8s on them, so most won't take fat strings without some tinkering.
slomatic wrote:Hey Jim

Did you have to tweak yr GS truss rod for those big strings?? I put 13s on my GS SG and the neck feels weird, sort of bowed and dead above teh 14th fret.

For all my talk I'm thinking of sticking with the 12s - tuning down further means my "other" tuning GGCFAD becomes insanely low, and a bit indistinct sounding... :bangs head:
It's like an orange on a toothpick
CONAN
You cajn't bajn me

Post by CONAN »

I use 13's on my Les Paul. The nut isn't filed down very good for it but it works fine all the same - I am going to take it to the regular guitar tech soon to be set up.

Currently I play in dropped G, which would sound like a blowjob with any strings thinner than 13's.

Richt now it sound extremely full and chunky with a tiny little hint of sag - the strings are still nicely taut.
slomatic

Post by slomatic »

Hey Sickle, GS don't do baritones to the best of my knowledge. You could give them a shout for a custom oredr maybe, but I guess it wouldn't be cheap. If my current GAS for a LP comes to fruition I may end up having to flog my Gordon Smith SG....as with what seems like all my gear you get first refusal :hihi:
Volume over talent
welshchris

Post by welshchris »

slomatic wrote:Hey Sickle, GS don't do baritones to the best of my knowledge. You could give them a shout for a custom oredr maybe, but I guess it wouldn't be cheap.
Yeah Gordon Smith def don't do baritones, I rang them a few months ago wondering if they'd build one for me but they said it'd be to much bother for them to tool up for a one off job. They were very nice to talk to though and did say they'll been getting quite a few inquireys about them so.. you never now maybe one day!
... No I can't turn down
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

The more people they get asking, the more chance there is of them making a baritone. I know they've done custom electric Mandolins & Basses in the past.

Does anyone know where I can get double ended flatwound bass strings? Heavy ones ideally.
It's like an orange on a toothpick