Absinthe recommendation?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

d4niel

Re: Absinthe recommendation?

Post by d4niel »

You can always go for Death in the afternoon coined by Ernest Hemingway! :party:
Ernest Hemingway wrote:"Pour one jigger absinthe into a Champagne glass. Add iced Champagne until it attains the proper opalescent milkiness. Drink three to five of these slowly."
I tried this the other week (using regular Pernod though) and I personally preferred it with a bit more champagne so that the drink clears up a bit. I still don't know whether I really enjoy it or if I just enjoy the idea of it :hihi:. Oh, unless your boss or some record label pays for the booze, go for Spanish Cava or something like that instead of Champagne!

Whatever you end up doing, please report back any recollection you have on how the Absinthe was!! :twisted:
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Yea, gotta burn the sugar first!

I don't think any Absinthe you buy today is going to match the recipes of days gone by. There are simply to many regulations for commercial producers.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
xeper

Post by xeper »

Some stuff from absinthe.se mentioned here earlier:
"Many myths and rumours about absinthe's hallucinogenic properties have been floating around for ages and ages. Absinthe is not hallucinogenic though and it will not get you high."

"In some absinthes there are thujone to some extent. In most absinthes there is virtually none. The thujone in the absinthe is not detectable by taste and it will neither kill you, nor get you high. Extremely high intakes of thujone can cause convulsions etc, but before reaching those levels of thujone, you will have passed out or died from the amount of alcohol."

Anyway, looking forward to tasting the stuff tomorrow.
angelsmoke

Post by angelsmoke »

Absinthe - Never again!...

I was in Montreal (where it's illegal) about a month ago. My good friend has a nice stocked bar. We got talking about the pretty little Absinthe in his cantina. After a few beers and a few jams in, he talks me into a shot. It wasn't even a shot actually, just a bottle cap full. I have a very strong constitution when it comes to booze. BUT FUCKIN HELL!!!!...Almost instantaneously, my whole body felt HOT.....end of phase one...just when I thought it was all over PHASE TWO kicks in...My receptors on the ventricle of the brain (the fuckin trigger zone) start telling the mouth to increase salivation. My buddy is looking at me and says " you look green dude." ...I feel green dude!!!!!.... The dopamine is not doing a good job of suppressing my neurotransmitters....VOMIT PUKE RALPH!!!!!.....then PHASE THREE...shivers shakes and a mild case of "I feel like fuckin shit"...

Someone after the fact said I was to mix it.
A smarter man than me once said, "Beer - it's the best damn drink in the world"....HELL YA! :cheers:
meadhead

Post by meadhead »

A mate of mine gave us some Czech stuff once. Had to listen to the Dresden Dolls before I saw he had Fun House. Iggy & absinthe...
...it was a whole new kind of hangover, I remember that.
xeper

Post by xeper »

Just had my first and last glass of absinthe. Man, that stuff was gruesome. Tasted exactly like the cough sirup you can buy over the counter here in Norway, the kind that isn't any fun. I'm getting a beer to get the taste out of my mouth. :cheers:
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I talked to my buddy last night about Absinthe. He said that you really have to go for a high quality bottle to avoid the cough-syrup taste and ill effects.

According to him when it is being made the higher quality producers keep a tighter control on the temperature and filter out a lot of impurities.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty